Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

For anyone using the MyDolphin App, if you ever get a situation where your App will not connect to the power supply via Bluetooth and it throws a weird error message - “Robot not found in DB. Contact your service provider.” - delete the App and reinstall it. I had that happen a few days ago and took it into the shop and the tech was able to connect with his Service App so he had me delete the App on my phone and reinstall it. Worked right away. He said his Dolphin rep told him to do that and in most cases it solves the problem. Maytronics is aware of the problem but I guess they haven’t been able to figure out why the App does it as it’s a random issue.

I posted about it in my S300i thread but thought a PSA here would be helpful.

I just saw somebody post with the same issue in another thread.

Well, if that other thread wasn’t mine, feel free to post the solution or link then back to this thread.

I was honestly a little embarrassed to have not thought of that before bringing it over to the shop but we (me and shop owner) laughed it off as the easiest fix he had all day. He was sitting there with two pressure cleaners and a Hayward Navigator all in various states of disassembly replacing parts. So I’m sure my quick & simple fix was a welcome relief.

Took my Doheny's Discovery to a local Maytronics dealer about six weeks ago. I had the "it would move a foot and stop" issue. Bad motor. So, here's the thing. My cord tangles like crazy now. I remember reading a review before I bought the dang thing that stated that the motor (or controller, or whatever) was programmed to keep the cord from tangling much. Has anyone else experienced this? The difference is significant.

Oh, here's the review from Doheny's.

Good Cleaner/Inaccurate Description Review by Scott
Overall Rating
80%
We bought his cleaner about 10 days ago (June 8) after doing a considerable amount of research. We used a Kreepy Krauly for over 20 years before that. One of the options that every reviewer advised was a no-tangle swivel and that was a major reason for purchasing this product as the description in Doheny's catalogue listed it. I was most disappointed that this product doesn't in fact have the swivel. I called Doheny's to register my complaint and after talking with two reps was given the phone number for Dolphin (Maytronics). I also spoke with technology support at Dolphin and was told that this new series of cleaners DOES NOT have the swivel cord and that the programming in the electronics eliminates the need for the swivel? Based on this info, I decided to give the cleaner a trial.

Took my Doheny's Discovery to a local Maytronics dealer about six weeks ago. I had the "it would move a foot and stop" issue. Bad motor. So, here's the thing. My cord tangles like crazy now. I remember reading a review before I bought the dang thing that stated that the motor (or controller, or whatever) was programmed to keep the cord from tangling much. Has anyone else experienced this? The difference is significant.

[FONT=&][/FONT][FONT=&]
[/FONT]

I don't even see how that's possible. The robot has no clue where its at in the pool. It's basically a Roomba. My pool is basically square and my cord gets tangled

[FONT=&][/FONT][FONT=&]
[/FONT]

I don't even see how that's possible. The robot has no clue where its at in the pool. It's basically a Roomba. My pool is basically square and my cord gets tangled

Under their Standard Clean cycle, the robots are programmed to execute equal numbers of CW and CCW turns. This helps to keep cord tangle to a minimum. I take my robot out of the pool a lot so I uncoil the cord very often and let it sit in the sun straightened out. When I put the robot on the caddy, I always roll up the cord so there are no twists in it. If you look up the “under/over coil” method on YouTube, you can find many videos on how to wrap up a cord without twisting it.

Under their Standard Clean cycle, the robots are programmed to execute equal numbers of CW and CCW turns. This helps to keep cord tangle to a minimum. I take my robot out of the pool a lot so I uncoil the cord very often and let it sit in the sun straightened out. When I put the robot on the caddy, I always roll up the cord so there are no twists in it. If you look up the “under/over coil” method on YouTube, you can find many videos on how to wrap up a cord without twisting it.
It gets twisted in operation. A weeks worth of twisting in a day or two. I leave it in the pool most of the time, so it it's definitely not my improper cord winding.

Just have to wonder, since they have models that do have a swivel, if mine now doesn't care about performing equal cw and ccw turns....

I have a question in to Maytronics, but zero response. Does anyone have a number for them? I can't find a number to call.

I shrouded a vacuum hose over the portion of the cord that stays on the surface. I didn't want to increase too much of the drag for the robot.

HGtrQOd.jpg

gOJozFh.jpg

Y1T9BpV.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really wish I was able to get on that mail in rebate deal. Any idea if they'll run another sale soon? Assuming the answer is no (and probably not until out of season) so I'll probably call Marina Pool and Spa this week and order a S200. Hoping I don't regret my decision to go to a higher model...

Hi all,

Thanks so much for this…I've spent the last 4 days deciphering Maytronic's multi-channel marketing variations, and this thread has been invaluable.

I thought I'd settled on the Doheny Discovery, as they have a "Customer Return" for $609. But I'm hearing conflicting reports about whether it supports Automation Mode:

In theory, the Discovery is an S200 in different plastics, and Automation Mode should work. But the Maytronics website indicates that the S200 supports Automation Mode but the Discovery doesn't.

So…can anyone with a Discovery confirm one way or another? Many thanks.

The Discovery has one mode- a 2 hour setting that goes from floors to walls. It can be "programmed" via the power box to run daily, every other day or every three days. You can not program it from your phone. You can not tell it where to go specifically as you can with a S300i.

Its a great robot otherwise!

Maddie :flower:

From what I’ve deduced the Dolphin Cayman is the Active 20/S200. I’ve moved away from the Nautilus CC Plus, hearing the Active 20/S200 has such a proud following here, and also I think the outer wheel engineered units are stronger wall climbers and pool line tile cleaners.
I can get the Dolphin Cayman off Amazon for $697, but the reviews are, how shall I say, less than stellar?! My question is, is there a main difference with the Cayman? It says it’s a 2017 model.

The Dolphin Cayman is a single brush cleaner whereas the Active20/S200 has two brushes (the “active” brush spins at 2X the drive speed). The S200 is the better cleaner.

Dolphin only makes one or two models for online sales. They usually have inferior warranties. I bought my unit from a local brick & mortar shop because I wanted a place to bring my robot to, not have to pay to ship it to a service center. I paid a premium for local business but knowing the shop is less than 3mi away and that they offer loaners in case of extended repairs being needed is well worth the extra cost.

Consider local if that option is available.

I thought I'd settled on the Doheny Discovery, as they have a "Customer Return" for $609. But I'm hearing conflicting reports about whether it supports Automation Mode

Having received and subsequently submerged the Discovery, I can confirm that it supports Automation Mode via the usual means. That was a nice surprise, and since I don't need the Bluetooth or multi-cycle support, this was a pretty good decision. Thanks again!

Having received and subsequently submerged the Discovery, I can confirm that it supports Automation Mode via the usual means. That was a nice surprise, and since I don't need the Bluetooth or multi-cycle support, this was a pretty good decision. Thanks again!

Thanks for verifying. What does "the usual means" mean? It appears to me from the video that the smart hub somehow signals the robot/power supply to start, but I don't know how that is possible with my Vera. The way I understood it previously is that you would use a smart outlet to turn on the power and the robot would understand it was supposed to run a cycle as soon as the power was turned on.

“Automation mode” just means that you can plug the robot into a switched power outlet and set it so that it will run when the power is turned on. So it actually dumbs down the robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.