Doheny Discovery 5 year tune up!!

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
Almost five years ago, I bought my trusty Maytronics Doheny Discovery (S200, Triton, Active 20). It became a staple of having TFP clear water. In my case, I ran it 2 or 3 times a week, but as time went on, it seemed to spend longer and longer time in the pool. I'll admit it, I pretty much neglected my robot, but it still delivered time and time again, when I needed it to pick up leaves or even ash after we had local fires. When 2021 came around, I pretty much just figured I was getting a new robot, because my cord was toast and my Discovery was looking pretty shabby. But once again, the robot delivered, so I decided I would take my chances and order up the parts to give it a little freshening up. The heart of the robot is the motor. The motor is also the most expensive part and would decide whether I replaced the robot or not. Since it was still working good, I ordered the parts from Marina Pool & Patio that were necessary to get it back in shape.

Once again, a huge shout out to Marina's Pool and Patio, they were great and got me all the parts at a fair price in a week or less.

- *New no swivel cord* Since I never really had that much of a tangling issue, and I had a routine of unwrapping the cord, I did not get the swivel. This also saved about $50.00.
- *New Tracks* As you can see in the pictures, mine were pretty worn out and very loose in comparison to the new ones. I also switched it up by ordering parts specific to the Active 20, which are blue. Figured it was worth a change.
- *Non return flap* This is the cloth return flap attached to the basket. Mine was torn.
- *Rubber Strips* These are located on the bottom and all of mine were worn or torn off.
- *Active Brush Assembly* This is the smaller of the two brushes, that moves twice as fast when working. This assembly comes with new bearings. You can see in the pictures that the bearings on my old one were severly worn and the brush was really loose.
- *Wheel Tube Assembly* Larger of the two brushes. This also comes with new bearing assemblies which were worn down on my originals.
- *Wheel Kit* I debated getting these, but after comparing with my old wheels, I could see that mine had completely worn out bearings. These are the larger wheels in the front.
- *Rapid Drain Flap* This is the big rubber flap on the inside that allows all the water to rush out when you lift it out of the pool. Marina's made a mistake and gave me two sets of the rubber strips and forgot the return flap. It is an easy install and Marina made right with now issues. It was in the mail box when did the repairs and didn't think about checking.

All in, I spent $215 for the parts shipped to my door, which is way less than the $700 for a new robot.

Attachments

• 5vpwk3.jpg
    5vpwk3.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210226_112513.jpg
    20210226_112513.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210226_112527.jpg
    20210226_112527.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210226_112535.jpg
    20210226_112535.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210226_112547.jpg
    20210226_112547.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Last of the pics. Everything went together in less than an hour and everything uses the same size screws which is nice. I did have one issue, which was corrosion around the pins where the new cord plugs into the motor unit. Water had infultrated past the seal and caused the old cords pin to brake. I used an ice pic to get the pieces out, cleaned it thoroughly. I also used dielectric grease on the new plug and pool magic silicon around the new seal.

Attachments

• 20210226_115222.jpg
    20210226_115222.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210226_115425.jpg
    20210226_115425.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210226_120558.jpg
    20210226_120558.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210226_124220.jpg
    20210226_124220.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 37
Almost five years ago, I bought my trusty Maytronics Doheny Discovery (S200, Triton, Active 20). It became a staple of having TFP clear water. In my case, I ran it 2 or 3 times a week, but as time went on, it seemed to spend longer and longer time in the pool. I'll admit it, I pretty much neglected my robot, but it still delivered time and time again, when I needed it to pick up leaves or even ash after we had local fires. When 2021 came around, I pretty much just figured I was getting a new robot, because my cord was toast and my Discovery was looking pretty shabby. But once again, the robot delivered, so I decided I would take my chances and order up the parts to give it a little freshening up. The heart of the robot is the motor. The motor is also the most expensive part and would decide whether I replaced the robot or not. Since it was still working good, I ordered the parts from Marina Pool & Patio that were necessary to get it back in shape.

Once again, a huge shout out to Marina's Pool and Patio, they were great and got me all the parts at a fair price in a week or less.

- *New no swivel cord* Since I never really had that much of a tangling issue, and I had a routine of unwrapping the cord, I did not get the swivel. This also saved about $50.00.
- *New Tracks* As you can see in the pictures, mine were pretty worn out and very loose in comparison to the new ones. I also switched it up by ordering parts specific to the Active 20, which are blue. Figured it was worth a change.
- *Non return flap* This is the cloth return flap attached to the basket. Mine was torn.
- *Rubber Strips* These are located on the bottom and all of mine were worn or torn off.
- *Active Brush Assembly* This is the smaller of the two brushes, that moves twice as fast when working. This assembly comes with new bearings. You can see in the pictures that the bearings on my old one were severly worn and the brush was really loose.
- *Wheel Tube Assembly* Larger of the two brushes. This also comes with new bearing assemblies which were worn down on my originals.
- *Wheel Kit* I debated getting these, but after comparing with my old wheels, I could see that mine had completely worn out bearings. These are the larger wheels in the front.
- *Rapid Drain Flap* This is the big rubber flap on the inside that allows all the water to rush out when you lift it out of the pool. Marina's made a mistake and gave me two sets of the rubber strips and forgot the return flap. It is an easy install and Marina made right with now issues. It was in the mail box when did the repairs and didn't think about checking.

All in, I spent $215 for the parts shipped to my door, which is way less than the $700 for a new robot.
Would you be so kind as to tell me the part numbers for items you ordered? We cannot get Maytronics or anyone else to give us part numbers and when I look up the Doheney Discovery, the picture is not what we have. Your photos ARE what we have. We probably need a new cord--power supply is on but no light on robot and it doesn't move--it IS 4 years old and treads and brushes look like your photos but hoping problem is cord and not motor. Thanks for the part numbers, especially the cord, if you can supply....

Would you be so kind as to tell me the part numbers for items you ordered? We cannot get Maytronics or anyone else to give us part numbers and when I look up the Doheney Discovery, the picture is not what we have. Your photos ARE what we have. We probably need a new cord--power supply is on but no light on robot and it doesn't move--it IS 4 years old and treads and brushes look like your photos but hoping problem is cord and not motor. Thanks for the part numbers, especially the cord, if you can supply....
If you go to the Marina Pool and Patio website and look under Maytronics parts. Select parts for the Doheny Discovery, Maytronics S200 or Active 20...or any of the same model with the same name. Click on on a model and it will show a diagram of the parts and show all available parts with actual Maytronics part numbers. I ordered everything from Marinas, since they had the best prices and were easy to deal with. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.