Dog in fiberglass pool

Meaty

Sep 8, 2015
South West Florida
Hi
im considering getting a Labrador retriever. Since they are water dogs I assume it'll jump in the pool all of the time. What is the likelihood the fiberglass will get scratched (steps, etc from the dogs nails)? I'm not sure if fiberglass scratches easily.
thanks

No worries really. I would worry more about vinyl pools but even though have been okay with dogs swimming in them. It is best for every one and thing to keep their nails trimmed. I use a drimal with the sandpaper end on my dog. It did take some training but now he just sticks his foot up for me to do LOL He does love his peanut butter!

Kim:kim:

No worries really. I would worry more about vinyl pools but even though have been okay with dogs swimming in them. It is best for every one and thing to keep their nails trimmed. I use a drimal with the sandpaper end on my dog. It did take some training but now he just sticks his foot up for me to do LOL He does love his peanut butter!

great idea. Hadn't thought of a dremel with fine sand paper. Glad to know my pool won't look like the average hardwood floor

I love how his nails come out this way. I hated how sharp the edges were when I used the nail clippers. Take it baby steps depending on your dog. Get a high value treat and pair it up with the dremal off, then on but not touching him. Go as slow as you need to so he does not even notice after a while. It took about 5 sessions for my dog to accept it. Now he likes it because he knows he getting yummy peanut butter LOL

I have one lab mix that tried to get swimming and it is a major reason I went fiberglass - would not risk it in vinyl. I can bring him in, and as soon as I let go he swims for the steps and gets out. No scratching. If it tried to get out on side of pool, I could see him scratching it some.

I got one of these dog ramps to make it easier to get in/out of pool and to be able to lounge in the water, but he wouldn't use it.

thumb

I just got a new female lab-mix puppy, which was my present from my wife in return for finally getting a pool built. Figure its an even trade :grin:. Will get her swimming once we open the pool up in spring. Hoping she will get her brother to come in too. I figure they'll use the dock then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.