Does variable speed pump make sense for 1HP?

Newz54

Mar 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I have an old Hayward hydramax II pump that is starting to leak. It has got to be 15 years old so I am thinking about replacing it instead of going through the effort of replacing the seals and gaskets. Given my current pump is very close to the skimmer (6 feet) and is working great with a 1HP motor, does it make sense to go to variable speed or two speed? I assume I would buy 1hp and let it slow down from there? My only concern is skimmer performance loss in low speed mode. I have lots of bushes around the pool so the skimmer is the first line of defense to catch debris from falling to the bottom. If it is running at 1/2 hp for much of the day I will not be skimming as well.
Any suggestions? Is variable not going to save much in energy costs with such a small (1/2 to 1hp) variable window? Any model suggestions that have very big leaf pots?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think I am just going to fix my leaking pump. If I had a 3 or even 2hp motor the variable route would make sense but not for 1hp. Plus I have read too many horror stories about variable speed units breaking down much sooner than 1 speed units.

I think I am just going to fix my leaking pump. If I had a 3 or even 2hp motor the variable route would make sense but not for 1hp. Plus I have read too many horror stories about variable speed units breaking down much sooner than 1 speed units.
I replaced our 17 yr old single speed that just won't die with energy efficient VS pump and our monthly electric bill always put a big smile on my face, since. :party:

You can keep your 1 HP single speed for as long as you want. But bear in mind, single speed pump or pool pump motors with a motor capacity of 1 HP or greater do not meet the Regulatory Standard. It is illegal to sell or offer to sell them in California. More here -> CA Energy Commission Regulatory Advisory

Perhaps this awesome Rebates on energy efficient pool pump might encourage you to make the switch!

New, then you might look at a 2-speed pump - I agree that VSP's have a greater chance of failing, but do your research and look at the ones that do not fail. Some users have had them for 6+ yrs at multiple homes and they work fine. That brand seems to be Pentair.

Before you buy any pump, enter the model number into Amazon and many other sites and look at the user reviews, esp the "most critical" ones. AND, look at the reviews that are at least 3 yrs old bc now you have some history. if a pump is not proven yet, be weary of the warranty. Just look at the folks on here and their signatures and see what type of equipment they have?? They have learned from experience and pool ownership or working in the industry, the best advice you can receive...goof luck

My pool is roughly the same size as yours. I run a 3 hp Pentair IntelliFlo VS. At 1455 RPM energy consumption is 210 watts. At 2800 RPM-1458 watts (7 times more). At 3250 RPM-2273 watts. As RPMs increase, so does the percentage of energy use. I run my pump about 6 hours at lower speeds (1800 RPM-395 watts) and 2 hours at higher speeds for skimming. I use a skimmer net to manually remove leaves and debris daily.

It looks like LADWP has two programs available. One provides $500 if you install yourself. The other provides $1,000 but must be installed by a certified installer. Under the program, you may only run your pump between 8 pm-10 am.

I guess you need to research your current energy use to evaluate your potential savings.

Best of luck,

Mike.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.