Does the geometry where the pool's wall meets the floor matter?

The Creator

May 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Is there any pro's/con's regarding different geometries where the walls meet the floor, or is it just personal preference? This would be for a concrete pool with full tile finish. I've been in pools before where the wall is angled or rounded into the floor and it's always uncomfortable trying to stand near the wall. I'd definitely prefer just a right angle. Would automatic cleaners that can clean walls be able to transition to the wall with a right angle?

Pool Geometry.jpg

Right angles are more prone to cracking and would make it impossible to use any kind of automatic pool cleaner for the walls. Generally you see a small radius in the shallow end, and then an increased angled area as the water gets deeper.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too concerned about the structural aspect of it, as any good engineer would be able to specify a design with the proper thickness and reinforcement to make sure it's structurally sound. An automatic cleaner not being able to transition to the walls though would be a major bummer. Do manufactures of automatic pool cleaners list a minimum required radius or angle for their cleaners to be able to successfully transition to the walls?

Theoretically you're right, a sharp corner could be designed, but I would submit that any GOOD engineer, would at least tell you that a perfectly square corner will require much better design, more or better material (cost), and very high quality of install work. A good engineer should push you to have some radius in the corner. Not a whole lot is needed to relieve a lot of stress.

It looks though like you're already headed that way for a much more practical reason - the cleaner. I just bought a robot and when I was looking for one I did NOT see any data on a minimum radius. I wasn't looking as my pool has large radius corners, especially in the deep end. I think you'll probably have to contact them to see if they have any data on that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.