Does Ployquat raise the CYA level in my swimming pool?

May 2, 2013
South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. I hope someone with knowledge of my question can help. I have green algae in my new resurfaced pool and I would like not having to slam my pool. In addition to my question above I noticed that my startup polyquat dose lowered my chlorine from 3 ppm to .5 ppm when I measured the results after 24 hours. I am confused after reading some polyquat posts on this forum as the explanations just raised more questions. Before giving the pool the startup dose of polyquat, the CYA level in the pool was 45ppm. I haven't yet tested it today but plan to tomorrow. I would like to keep the CYA level in my pool no higher than 50 ppm.....any help is greatly appreciated. John

Hey John !!!
I have green algae in my new resurfaced pool
You need to SLAM Process
I would like not having to slam my pool
I feel you. I do. But no. You have to SLAM. Not a half attempt or little bit here and there. Full blown SLaM. Baby sit it and test/add every 2 hours the first day or two and it will go much quicker. The less often you test/add, The longer it drags on, The more likely you will slack, And you’ll be back in 3 weeks asking again.

Do it once. Do it right. Win this.
I noticed that my startup polyquat
Polyquat is useless now. It’s only for the winter. Follow Recommended Levels and FC/CYA Levels and the algae will be a thing of the past once this round is cleared.
any help is greatly appreciated.
Well my friend, You’ve been around for 7 years but I think it’s time for a refresher. There is just too much pool store logic going on in your post. We got you. Step away from Leslies and Read up here. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. :)

Ask away anytime and we’ll keep you out of the Leslies and the money will remain IN your wallet.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and Leebo
Zea3. Thank you for the reply.

I won't comment on the other one as the writer has no background in knowing how much I really know and the experience I have plus the contacts at a professional level. The reason for the polyquat was as a result from chem geak's thread with another person I saw a number of months ago that was from a number of years ago....John

I won't comment on the other one as the writer has no background in knowing how much I really know and the experience I have plus the contacts at a professional level
I know :

You have algae
You don't want to SLAM

I'm sorry if i have offended you but there is only one way out of this that doesn't involve the 'dump and pray' method.

Reactions: kimkats
Newdude not a problem. BTW I only use a pool store for chlorine. In Florida Home Depot and Walmart carry everything else needed for routine maintenance at a much lower cost. Regents from Troublefreepool' sister sight.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.