Does anyone know what these liquid compartments are in my salt cell?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I have an A5 Resilience salt cell and it has some sort of built in compartments around the top that has liquid inside. Well one of the 4 compartments has a greenish-yellow liquid inside (circle with question mark pointing to it) and the other 3 have clear liquids.

Does anyone know what these liquids are and if one should be a different color than the others? The salt cell is probably only a little over a year old (pretty new) and I clean it routinely. Just never noticed this before and now it had me wondering what this is and is it normal for one to be a different color? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-29-20-17-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-29-20-17-01.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 97
I don't think there is supposed to be liquid in those compartments. I looked through the manual and nothing is mentioned. Looking a pictures of new units they do not appear to have liquid in the compartments before installation. Either something is preventing the water from draining in that area or there is a leak in what is supposed to be a sealed area. How does your pool water look?

I don't think there is supposed to be liquid in those compartments. I looked through the manual and nothing is mentioned. Looking a pictures of new units they do not appear to have liquid in the compartments before installation. Either something is preventing the water from draining in that area or there is a leak in what is supposed to be a sealed area. How does your pool water look?
I called their customer service and spoke with Emily. I emailed her the 2 pics and her response was that this is "normal and can happen to the cell". I asked if I should try and drain the water out and she said "there is no way to get the water out from there". Then I asked if that area should have been sealed and she said again that "this happens to the cell and there's no way to avoid it". So I asked if it will affect the cell's functionality or eventually cause a decrease in the effectiveness of the cell's chlorine output production and she said "not at all".

Not sure if they are just blowing smoke up my tail, but to me that if the water "can't be drained out" then it should have been a sealed area and shouldn't have gotten in there in the first place...right?

The reason it can't be fixed is because they have a bad mold for their SWG shell in the production process. It somehow allows pool water to seep into those cavities and then it gets stale, which is the yellow you see. Or at least that's my view on it.

I do agree that there would be no affect on the cell operation whatsoever.

If there is no way to avoid getting water in there then why is it sealed? If it is sealed and there is water in there, then it sounds like the seal failed. If the seal failed then it is a defect.

In my humble opinion, they should redesign to make the seal more effective or redesign without a seal and allow water to drain out. In the meantime, I would ask for a replacement.

If there is no way to avoid getting water in there then why is it sealed? If it is sealed and there is water in there, then it sounds like the seal failed. If the seal failed then it is a defect.

In my humble opinion, they should redesign to make the seal more effective or redesign without a seal and allow water to drain out. In the meantime, I would ask for a replacement.

This is exactly my view on it. It either should be sealed and water shouldn't get in there OR it's not sealed and water should be able to freely drain out. I feel like they are just saying this to avoid having to replace it by saying "oh well, it got water in it...sometimes that happens, nothing can be done about it and it won't affect anything". To me it sounds like they tried to seal the area off and if it somehow allows water in or some of them, then they say "it happens" and use that excuse.

Really thinking about contacting them again and ask for someone higher up to discuss it with. Water shouldn't be allowed to get in and then not be able to get out. It's either sealed or it's not.

Really thinking about contacting them again and ask for someone higher up to discuss it with. Water shouldn't be allowed to get in and then not be able to get out. It's either sealed or it's not.

If the water in the compartments will not effect the functioning of the cell what is the problem that needs to be fixed? It sounds cosmetic in something that no one sees.

If the water in the compartments will not effect the functioning of the cell what is the problem that needs to be fixed? It sounds cosmetic in something that no one sees.

Well for one thing there are electrical components going into that space, you can see the black wires where they enter. And the second reason is what I stated before. She never specifically would answer whether or nor that area should be sealed. She avoided it each time by saying "it can happen sometimes" and "it is normal, sometimes water gets in there that you can't get out".

Well for one thing there are electrical components going into that space, you can see the black wires where they enter. And the second reason is what I stated before. She never specifically would answer whether or nor that area should be sealed. She avoided it each time by saying "it can happen sometimes" and "it is normal, sometimes water gets in there that you can't get out".

The electricity in the cell is "low voltage DC" and not 120V AC. If you think about it the electricity in the cell is in your water since it flows through the SWG plates that are wet. So there is no additional electrical risk.

What I hear her saying is they didn't intend those compartments to get water but not a big deal if they do.

The electricity in the cell is "low voltage DC" and not 120V AC. If you think about it the electricity in the cell is in your water since it flows through the SWG plates that are wet. So there is no additional electrical risk.

What I hear her saying is they didn't intend those compartments to get water but not a big deal if they do.

You're right...maybe I'm making a deal out of nothing. Who knows. It just seems that odd that on some cells this can happen to them and others it doesn't. And it shouldn't happen, but if it does happen then that's normal too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If they did not make the housing clear you never would have known. That is probably why many cells housings are not clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.