Does Anyone Have a Gate/Fence Around Their Pool?

If you are doing a Building Permit required remodel, you will need to be sure the barriers in place meet current Pool Code for your municipality. The Inspector will check them. Or should.

Reactions: Mdragger88
That sounds pretty extensive, especially the skimmer and light if it is the light enclosure.

Might want to check with the building department.

That sounds pretty extensive, especially the skimmer and light if it is the light enclosure.

When I say new skimmer and light, they are replacing the old skimmer and the old light (bulb and outer cover, the pool only has a single light, which I don't use).

The company handling the project is the big gorilla in Vegas when it comes to pool replaster/remodels and one of the biggest in LA. They have never mentioned permits for anything, but I'll inquire. I did just see a new law was passed that limits new pool constructions to 600 sq feet, wow.

Reactions: mknauss

I spoke to the contractor. No permits needed for this kind of project. They said most residential projects don't require a permit in Las Vegas, although they warned that could change in the future.. If a permit situation comes up, they would be in charge of pulling any permits (permit costs tacked on to my overall bill).

It can depend on municipality. Clark County is pretty intrusive. If you are in one of the cities, it can be different.

It can depend on municipality. Clark County is pretty intrusive. If you are in one of the cities, it can be different.
I agree on Clark County, but it's very weird as different parts of Clark County (like Henderson for example), have different internal laws, like you stated - even when it comes to securing firearms in a vehicle. I own properties in Summerlin and every Summerlin property is subjected to pay a "masterplan fee" - regardless if there is an HOA. I'm in an area dubbed as Section 10 (Section 10).

Reactions: mknauss
The reason I live where I live is for safety. This is a neighborhood made up of private gated blocks, it's not a normal residential area. All of the homes within my gated block are around 5,000 sq ft and every lot is a half acre and up. This whole area is half acre lots with pricey homes. Someone would first have to get past the front gate to enter the block, then the security door to enter the backyard and potentially a child fence if I keep it. Having said that, I have a professional 1080P video system around my whole property and three cameras inside the home as well, motion detectors, glass breaks, alarms on every door and window (the system beeps when anything opens).
Liability often operates in a world of absolutes, not just improbabilities.

We don't disagree you're likely not going to have a bad situation. In fact, you're probably further from this than most, and it's good to be as aware as you are.

However you began the thread with:
My wife, on the other hand, is worried about the chance possibility that a child happens to sneak on the property, drowns, and we get sued.
Given what you have on your perimeter, latches and springs would appear to close that liability sufficiently and fully. Plus bonus, you don't need the child fence then either.
Not sure what some members thoughts are on this?

These are our humble and honest thoughts. Ultimately we wish for you what we all hope for ourselves - no extra drama at our pools courtesy of people, pets or police!

Liability often operates in a world of absolutes, not just improbabilities.

We don't disagree you're likely not going to have a bad situation. In fact, you're probably further from this than most, and it's good to be as aware as you are.

However you began the thread with:

Given what you have on your perimeter, latches and springs would appear to close that liability sufficiently and fully. Plus bonus, you don't need the child fence then either.

These are our humble and honest thoughts. Ultimately we wish for you what we all hope for ourselves - no extra drama at our pools courtesy of people, pets or police!
Here is the issue I'm facing with the latches. I have a 10 year old on the spectrum and she is non-verbal. The reason we placed the double-dead bolts on the door with no handles, is to prevent her from opening the door and running out of the backyard, which she used to do often. We needed a sure measure to prevent her from being capable of opening the door - or anyone else - without a key. We can always leave the double dead bolt and add on something else, but I would still be in the same boat as a key would be needed on either side for entry.

Here is the issue I'm facing with the latches. I have a 10 year old on the spectrum and she is non-verbal. The reason we placed the double-dead bolts on the door with no handles, is to prevent her from opening the door and running out of the backyard, which she used to do often. We needed a sure measure to prevent her from being capable of opening the door - or anyone else - without a key. We can always leave the double dead bolt and add on something else, but I would still be in the same boat as a key would be needed on either side for entry.
Thanks for the added context; that explains the hesitancy I was sensing.

Can you add a latch to the gate in addition to the deadbolt? Or does it only feature a hole/mortis for one fixture?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've not done research on these, but a quick web search suggests you may have a quick option that touches both needs.
Then all you have to add is a spring.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 5.28.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 5.28.44 PM.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Mdragger88
I've not done research on these, but a quick web search suggests you may have a quick option that touches both needs.
Then all you have to add is a spring.
The deadbolt I'm using is pretty much made for gates. The spring might be tricky as there is a wall on either side of the door, which is iron. I'd have to see what a handyman thinks is possible.

I have a 10 year old on the spectrum and she is non-verbal.

With this new info I would also suggest keeping the child fence in place knowing that the threat of drowning comes from within your backyard & your daughter playing there. From your previous posts I was under the impression that you had no small children.
It is easy enough to remove later for aesthetics when that is no longer a possible risk.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.