Does anyone go an entire swimming season without SLAMing their pool?

I am also one that has NOT had to slam since finding TFP many moons ago.
Before that, I was going through the all too familiar clean to green cycle a couple of times a year!
I can't say enough good things about this forum, and the help they provide.

Reactions: drsipe
I had to Slam once. I inherited a mess from the previous owner. It never went GREEN but it would go cloudy. I suspect I didn't quite perform a proper Slam [ I just raised the FC level] and after awhile the pool would start to go dull[ again. I finally raised the FC to Slam level acording to CYA and then I topped it off with a shock as well. This finally did the trick and I have not had an issue since.

I now believe that I had an ongoing low level Algae until I finally killed it off once and for all with a proper "Super" Slam. I maintain my target on the higher side & I maintain a sparkling clear blue pool. I don't anticipate a need to Slam again.

Last edited:
Reactions: drsipe
I hate to say it, but I slam every year for the open because I let the pool go to Crud late fall/winter ( not a thick swamp, but maybe teal-ish in color before jumping to 8FC ).... But other than, check the pool daily and make small adjustments as needed to maintain 3-4FC. (above ground)

Bought house with pool feb 2020...prior owner used tabs with stabilizer and other pool store junk...CYA was rising...water was clear but probably on the edge. Employed TFP procedures ..never had to SLAM.

I call it MiniSlams, not that its a real thing but, when i see a slight haze of the water i just raise to slam levels for 3 days and back in business. We all know its laziness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I'm the odd one out here. I've had pools for 40 years. My last two pools were vinyl liner pools (for about 38 years of the 40), both with DE filters, first was chlorine and 2nd was salt. I never had an issue with either one of those.

My new pool is plaster with salt and a cartridge filter, and I started the TFP method when it was installed a year and a half ago. I am very meticulous with checking and maintaining my pool - usually check it about every 2-3 days, and have never had my chlorine level drop below 7ppm or so. Yet I have had to SLAM about every two months. No matter what I do, the water eventually goes cloudy, and I see chlorine levels dropping and I have to hit it with liquid chlorine.

The only niche's I have in my pool are the skimmer and the light. I've scrubbed both of those multiple times - same result. Currently, I've been letting the pool stay around 10 ppm, and it's been good for a couple of months, but over the past several days I've had to bump my SWG up to 50% to keep up. That's a 40K cell for a 7K pool, running 12 hours a day.

I get the feeling I'm heading to another SLAM. I did check CYA yesterday, and it dropped from 70 when I checked it two weeks ago to 30, so I added CYA yesterday. Not sure what caused consumption of CYA - I did not experience this in my vinyl pool. Once CYA was in those, I was usually good for the season.

I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong, but I've gone over all the TFP info many times and just don't see what I could be missing. It's getting to the point that I might just shock it once a month and call it good.

I guess I'm the odd one out here. I've had pools for 40 years. My last two pools were vinyl liner pools (for about 38 years of the 40), both with DE filters, first was chlorine and 2nd was salt. I never had an issue with either one of those.

My new pool is plaster with salt and a cartridge filter, and I started the TFP method when it was installed a year and a half ago. I am very meticulous with checking and maintaining my pool - usually check it about every 2-3 days, and have never had my chlorine level drop below 7ppm or so. Yet I have had to SLAM about every two months. No matter what I do, the water eventually goes cloudy, and I see chlorine levels dropping and I have to hit it with liquid chlorine.

The only niche's I have in my pool are the skimmer and the light. I've scrubbed both of those multiple times - same result. Currently, I've been letting the pool stay around 10 ppm, and it's been good for a couple of months, but over the past several days I've had to bump my SWG up to 50% to keep up. That's a 40K cell for a 7K pool, running 12 hours a day.

I get the feeling I'm heading to another SLAM. I did check CYA yesterday, and it dropped from 70 when I checked it two weeks ago to 30, so I added CYA yesterday. Not sure what caused consumption of CYA - I did not experience this in my vinyl pool. Once CYA was in those, I was usually good for the season.

I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong, but I've gone over all the TFP info many times and just don't see what I could be missing. It's getting to the point that I might just shock it once a month and call it good.

Interesting, dropping CYA to 30 is the reason you were using more chlorine and had to bump up the SWG... Not sure why it would be different but I also have a vinyl pool liner right now and keep mine at 7 with no issues at all... My new pool will be all tile so I am hoping it will be the same..

Very interesting PoolBrews, curious about how that is occurring.

I'm seriously impressed with those of you in middle/northern states that close your pool for winter and still never have to SLAM, but I guess that goes to show that algae won't grow in the cold water so provided you wait late enough to close it and open it early enough before the water warms you can stay ahead of it. My pool will never be closed, hope I'm graced with years of SLAM-free maintenance myself, no reason to think it will be any other way.

Very interesting PoolBrews, curious about how that is occurring.

I'm seriously impressed with those of you in middle/northern states that close your pool for winter and still never have to SLAM, but I guess that goes to show that algae won't grow in the cold water so provided you wait late enough to close it and open it early enough before the water warms you can stay ahead of it. My pool will never be closed, hope I'm graced with years of SLAM-free maintenance myself, no reason to think it will be any other way.
You hit on it. Close late and open early.

Open and close every year to clear water. Can't remember the last time I had to SLAM. I close late and open fairly late. Just last week for instance. I wait until the crops are planted and the fields are sprayed before I open. The water was still clear and about 64 when I fired it up. The TFP method and a good solid winter cover work wonders.

I put up my pool in June. Nearly all year it looked like this, no slamming/shocking.
full

In the late fall we got a warm spell and I wasn't watching chlorine and got a tinge of green that chlorine quickly cleared up. Then I overwintered without a cover and while we still had snow on the ground but the pool had melted it quickly started getting a green tint. About a week later it looked like this.
full

However this was still early, so a trip to get some 12.5% liquid chlorine and brushing yielded this in the afternoon of the same day. I started filling as pictured and got the pump running, and scooped out all the junk that had accumulated over the winter.
full

So I didn't have to do a full SLAM, just a "mini SLAM" like some others have mentioned and started testing/adding chlorine. With the chlorine, filter, and scooping out all the winter junk it quickly reverted to the crystal clear picture at the top of this post. Next year I'm planning on doing some Polyquat 60 at closing and at least a mesh cover so I can keep a majority of the junk out of the pool. I figure both of those will help keep it from going green again so soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.