Does anyone go an entire swimming season without SLAMing their pool?

drsipe

Gold Supporter
Jul 24, 2020
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
This is my first year using the TFP method. I replaced my liner and water in May, and I have, and I have been very meticulous about testing and maintaining balance and chlorine levels. The lowest my chlorine level has been is 1 ppm above minimum for my CYA level. Yesterday @ 10:00 my FC was 8.5, so I did not add any bleach, and today at 10:00 here are my numbers

FC 7.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 280
CYA 40
Temp 74

My water is clear and about a week ago I performed an overnight chlorine loss test,,,,, just for piece of mind, which it passed with less than 1 ppm loss. From what I can see, I don't see a need to do a SLAM.

In my previous pool maintenance regiment, I performed a weekly shock, and with the TFP method, I have not performed any type of shock or SLAM this year.

My question is: If my water is kept balanced, and my chlorine level is kept up, I can pass an overnight chlorine loss test and the water is clear, do I even need to perform a SLAM?

D,

I have three saltwater that have been running the TFP pool care process for about a total of 20 years between them.. I have never had to SLAM any of them..

I tend to shy away from SLAM questions, as I have no direct experience.. It is almost embarrassing for me as a moderator... :mrgreen:

The key in my mind is to keep your FC at your target level, or slightly higher, for your CYA... I do not try to keep my FC between my minimum and my target.. This allows me to test less and still never drop below my minimum.

Thanks,

Jim R.

This is my 1st pool. Been following the TFP method since my pool was installed in 2018. Haven't had to SLAM it yet. I live in an environment where my pool is "maintained" year round though. I could see where winterizing and opening it up in the spring would pose challenges I don't have to deal with really.

Only time I had to slam in my past 6 years of pool ownership, was when I tried that bioguard cya reducer. It barely did anything and I had an algae outbreak right after due to letting FC go down so the product could do its job....which it didn't.

And all of that to deal with before an open house to sell the property. The slam completed one day before the open house.

Reactions: drsipe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was a grand slammer! I was fighting algae for many many years because the CYA was too high.

I drained and refilled this year (May 15th) and have followed the TFP methods all summer. Crystal clear, CC usually no higher than 0.2 and have not had to SLAM or had an algae outbreak. It works.

Aside: I went SWG last weekend...

Last edited:
I have had to SLAM 2 times :) Both for 2 days each and only because my pump shut off and I did not catch it for a day... never green water but had stuff starting to grow in the corners... Killed it dead :)

After doing TFP method for 5 years I can tell by the look of the water when my chlorine level gets below 4 :shock: :whoot:

No SLAM since I first joined June 2015. Maybe the first year had to SLAM for a day or two right after opening in the spring. But after the first year it opens up completely clear in the spring and has stayed that way ever since! Learned to close the pool later in the summer when the water is cooler and open earlier in the spring before the water gets warmer. It is amazing to open up after winter to a clear pool! I have learned so much here and love having a clear, sparkling pool all summer. It's amazing!
Thanks to everyone here who helps us all to learn to take care of our own pools.
Sherry

First pool, plastered on January 26th of this year. Followed the TFP method since PB turned it over to me. Crystal clear water each and every day.

Timely that the OP posted this up, as I was just thinking about this the other day, and wondering how long people have gone without issues.

Thanks TFP for showing the way!

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.