Do you think your quartz finish will last 20 years or better going with Stonescapes mini pebble? Has your Quartz lasted 20 years?

If I save 2K by going with Artistics or even Travertine does that increase the value of the house when I sell
Curb appeal is so subjective and fluid. What’s desirable could change tomorrow, but in the meantime the WOW factor can certainly help you sell sooner which usually would mean you’d have to come down less in your asking price. In a roundabout way it can get you more while not guaranteeing you more.

Reactions: ckinchen
@Sollace and @Dirk Thank you for all the comments and links. Dirk you brought up some great points. In Florida a pool does not add value to the house, but it can make it sell quicker. My house is 3600 sq ft big family house so I think a pool will attract a big family and a pool will help it sell quicker. It sounds from above Quartz can last just as long as long as I take care of it. My pool builder did say his brother in law has quartz and going on 16 years, so maybe it lasts. He said it is only 5k to refinish, is that true? As all of you know everything is adding up so quickly. One thought I have is if I want to change to quartz I can put that 2K in upgraded decking. I really like the Artistic pavers but thats 5K more. If I save 2K by going with Artistics or even Travertine does that increase the value of the house when I sell? Maybe I should think that way. I also need to look at the quartz options, have not even looked at it.
The value of your house with/without pool was not my point. Sounds like you already understand those economics come selling time. So I wasn't trying to talk you out of having a pool. Not at all. Nor out of designing and finishing it in whatever way you'll most enjoy it. If the type of finish, or style of decking, makes you happy, you can't really quantify that. And in that way, our undercoat-havin' friend from New York was correct, spend what you want to spend and when deferred over all the years you'll enjoy the upgrades the money upfront is less of an issue. I was just pointing out that the money you "invest" now in these upgrades will not reap you any profit. If that is your goal, you'd be much better off investing $2K in the stock market. You won't even get the initial investment back.

When I purchased my house, which was sporting by several estimates at least $100K in pool, extensive decking and landscaping, it was priced just $5000 more than a very similar house for sale just across the street, that had none of those things. The other house is at least 200 sq ft smaller, and doesn't have the amazing oak forest behind it that mine does. That $5K difference was about the sq ft, and that was all. I got a free pool.

The point is: spend the money on yourself if that has value to you. Otherwise, you're just paying for upgrades that the next owner will certainly enjoy, but will be getting for free.

Last edited:
Curb appeal is so subjective and fluid. What’s desirable could change tomorrow, but in the meantime the WOW factor can certainly help you sell sooner which usually would mean you’d have to come down less in your asking price. In a roundabout way it can get you more while not guaranteeing you more.
I agree. And with the OP's notion that a pool might make the house sell faster. But the existence of the pool will provide that. Not whether it is lined in plaster or pebble or quartz. I remember seeing my pool for the first time, and the thought of having a pool really made an impact on me. But it was years after I ponied up for the cost of the house that I even knew of the difference between pool finishes, or that my equipment pad was missing automation (that was $2K to add), or that the flaking flagstone coping was going to cost me another $2K to fix. None of those things made a difference to me at the time, because I didn't know what I didn't know. It was "Pool, blue water, purdy! OK, I'll take it!!"

i agree all plasters should last with proper care. friends of ours. their parents. white plaster. 35 years! does it need to be redone. cosmetically yes. but there are no cracks. it holds water. it does what it needs to do. do you get cuts on it and brush burns. that's a different story. lol but again it has lasted 35 years.

jimi

18 years on pebbletec and still looks brand new. My guess is most of these warranties have too many stipulations which are really loopholes To prevent from having warranty claims. Imagine having to deal with the local chain pool store twice a month for 20 years trying to sell you unnecessary chemicals every time! Death by 1,000 paper cuts!

Is a quartz plaster smoother than pebble or about the same? I currently have a pebble finish and while I like the color I am not a huge fan of how rough it is. It is fine if you are just hanging out but any activity like volleyball tears up your feet pretty badly.

Regarding value of a pool when selling it is really interesting how little it adds. In my neighborhood it does add a little maybe $10k which is better than nothing but still 1/7th of what it cost to put in. One thing it does do though (in my area at least) is help move the house very quickly. Houses with pools are pretty much gone as soon as they hit the market.

Is a quartz plaster smoother than pebble or about the same? I currently have a pebble finish and while I like the color I am not a huge fan of how rough it is. It is fine if you are just hanging out but any activity like volleyball tears up your feet pretty badly.
My quartz is as smooth as plain plaster. The quartz is just tiny bits mixed in with the plaster, so it doesn't add texture.

Thank you all! @Dirk very good points! I will just got samples of the flagstone paver and the artistic pavers. I am going to lay them out this weekend in full sun and put my feet on them to see how they feel and if worth the price to upgrade to the Artistic. At that point I will know if really worth the 5K extra or not. But it does sound like the quartz does last a long time and that is what I needed to know. I will also check out the colors and feel as I never even touched the quartz at the pool showroom. I will invest on what I like, definitely don't want to have any regrets!

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Regarding value of a pool when selling it is really interesting how little it adds. In my neighborhood it does add a little maybe $10k which is better than nothing but still 1/7th of what it cost to put in. One thing it does do though (in my area at least) is help move the house very quickly. Houses with pools are pretty much gone as soon as they hit the market.
It draws a certain market, some folks hate pools..Usually the ones who have never owned one :)

My dad said I have an advantage since we have a outside bath and covered area. Bought the house from my cousin and she said they probably lost money or at best broke even.
That was 18 years ago and we are almost empty nesters and debating if we stay or move

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.