Do you need Phosphate Remover?

VAwaterboy

May 10, 2014
Falls Church, VA
Re: doubleOkevin

this is/was a very insightful thread regarding phosphates. i think the idea of phosphate control as insurance is one to think about - especially if you can't keep track of your pool as consistently as you might like/have time for. i really see why it would be important to someone who cares for many pools on a once a week basis to try to stay ahead of the algae any way he can. thanks for all this great stuff!
Personally, I found this thread (which I read completely) totally confusing and unhelpful. One side insists that phosphate levels are crucial, and one says to ignore them. I don't know who to believe.

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio

Personally, I found this thread (which I read completely) totally confusing and unhelpful. One side insists that phosphate levels are crucial, and one says to ignore them. I don't know who to believe.
I believe the TFP stance is that in almost all cases phosphate levels are not a consideration in managing a pool to TFPC specs. This stance is backed up by all, or at least the vast majority of regulars here doing nothing to control phosphate levels and manage perfectly clear pools. To say that phosphate levels are crucial is directly contradicted by all of us who neither monitor them nor do anything to control them. Possibly unrelated but important note: phosphate removers are one of the higher priced regular maintenance items on the pool store shelf. You are welcome to make your own conclusion there.

Those who wish to use phosphate control as insurance to help avoid problems are welcome to do so at their own expense. Everyone is allowed to manage their private pools as they see fit. I highly recommend they read the instructions on the bottle carefully before use.

smackdab

Mar 17, 2015
Georgia
My view on phosphate removers: If you keep the proper amount of FC for your CYA level in the pool then you don't have to worry about phosphates, nitrates, or algae. This is TFP's backbone. If your FC did drop low enough or long enough then the phosphates could matter some by helping the algae to multiply quicker but there are no products to remove nitrates and that is another nutrient for algae to use. If you have a low or zero phosphate count, you can still get algae, it may just take a little bit longer. So removing phosphates can be like having some insurance against having algae but not guaranteed. Like Chem Geek said somewhere on here, they should seen in the same vein as algaecides.

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA

There is no side that insists that phosphate levels are crucial in light of having a proper FC/CYA level to prevent algae growth (once one gets ahead of such growth first, say with a SLAM). Phosphate levels absolutely positively do not matter if one has enough active chlorine to prevent algae growth. I used to have 3000+ ppb phosphates and there are members here with 5000 and one with over 30,000 ppb phosphates who maintain their pools without algae by simply maintaining the proper FC/CYA level. So that's a fact that is based both on science and observation.

Remember that doubleOkevin is in the pool service business and only visits pools once a week. For him phosphate levels matter because he's not there to make sure the FC/CYA level doesn't get too low during mid-week and have algae start to grow. That is not inconsistent with the science but as he puts it "Some of the things you teach on the forum are incompatible with practical applications." In particular, applications like only testing and dosing once a week in pools or testing SWG pools once a week.

If for whatever reason one is not able to maintain a proper FC/CYA level (or wants insurance in case they can't) or they get recurring yellow/mustard algae they keep reintroducing and are not able to eradicate, then algaecides or phosphate removers can be helpful. Also, if one wants to maintain a lower FC/CYA level than in the TFP charts, say because they want to use half as much chlorine or want half the effects of chlorine in their water, then that would also need supplemental prevention of algae growth, but we do not provide specific charts or levels for this other type of approach.

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX

You won't find a better explanation than chem geek's. Welcome to the forum. :goodjob: