Do you Bond if there is no decking...

zam

Sep 9, 2018
Washington/DC
I have another thread with a similar inquiry. I am planning on doing the decking myself with my father in law who is a contractor. Only 2 sides of the pool will have decking, and the other 2 will be grass after the coping. I have been getting informed about bonding and bonding the deck doesn't seem that complicated. I do have a question, if I use the 8 gauge wire on the sides without deck and the wire mesh under the paver deck, would there be an imbalance? The sides without deck are on an easement and the less it gets disturbed the better, hence just the wire. My other 2 options which I haven't gotten quotes from is having the electrician handle the bonding, having a deck builder recommended by PB handle the bonding and 3 ft of deck on the side which will be decked. Don't know what the deck builder would do on the grass side. thanks

Is you bond beam bonded? A bond beam doesn't refer to electrical bonding but it is usually bonded electrically via the rebar and a copper wire going around the entire pool. If so, you should be fine with bonded decking (connected to the pool bonding) on only 2 sides.

Where there's no metal structure (i.e. rebar) to connect to, the NEC says to bury a #8 AWG copper conductor 18" to 24" away from the pool wall 4" to 6" deep and that provides bonding of the surrounding earth. So, bonding the deck and then running a loop of wire around the other side connected to the deck bond wire at both ends is the proper way to complete the bonding grid around the pool. Also since one side of the pool isn't going to have a deck you'll need to tie the bond wire on that side of the pool to the pool wall in at least two places. A piece of #8 wire from the wall to the bond loop in a couple of places is sufficient.

Having said all that, I assume you'll have to have the bonding inspected. In that case, you need to contact the AHJ (inspection department) and make sure you understand what they require.

To some degree it depends on what version of the NEC is in force in your location and what kind of pool you are installing.

680.26(B)(2) requires the bonding grid to extend 3ft beyond the inside pool wall , including unpaved surfaces unless there is a permanent wall in that area.

The pool will be bonded, and there should be a bond beam. All equipment will also be bonded. They haven't started the dig yet, still getting permits.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, not sure Prince Georges county in MD, and they tend to go with the latest and greatest normally. I have been doing plenty of reading and the newer code tends to state that both grid or an 8 gauge wire suffice. Which is connected to the pool at 4 locations equidistant. I definitely need to talk to the electrician.

- - - Updated - - -

To some degree it depends on what version of the NEC is in force in your location and what kind of pool you are installing.

680.26(B)(2) requires the bonding grid to extend 3ft beyond the inside pool wall , including unpaved surfaces unless there is a permanent wall in that area.

Looks like 2014 NEC

Building Codes s County, MD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.