Do I still have an suction side air leak if I see bubbles in the pump lid?

IMV8N

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2020
Las Vegas
I was having an issue with low suction. I did a complete rebuild on my Pentair 3 HP Variable Speed Pump. Replaced the internal bearings. Bought the seal kit and replaced all O Rings and the shaft seals. Thoroughly cleaned out the cartridge filters. Replaced the O rings at the suction side of the filter as well as the large O rings that seals the two half's of the filter. Tightened the clamp that holds the two half's of the filter all while tapping it with a rubber mallet. I torqued the bolts on the pump to recommended specs. I did get a 10 PSI jump from 10 PSI before the rebuild to 20 PSI after. I released all the air from the top of the filter. I am still seeing some bubbles in the pump lid. I was wondering if that means I still have an air leak. Should I be seeing absolutely smooth water through the lid. so much so that you almost wouldn't be able to tell water is flowing through it?

Attachments

• 20210117_083715.jpg
    20210117_083715.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 26

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
You shouldn't see too many bubbles in your pump. At low speed i do get a couple but at higher speeds none. A few bubbles is more or less normal. You can try running water over the pump lid and see if the bubbles go away. If so you may need a new pump o ring. At least try lubing it.

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
If you aren't losing prime it's probably ok.
I have a few small bubbles in my pump basket all the time. I know there's no leak, as it can hold prime for weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.