Do I really need to drain hot tub before adding SWG as directions say????

duganderson

Jan 26, 2021
Minneapolis
I just bought a SmarterSpa SWG and the directions say I should drain my tub and refill before adding. Do I really have to drain it? I can't figure out why this would be necessary.

I have a 400 g. hot tub that was drained about a month ago with 2 Ahh-Some purges. I have used the diclor/chorine method AND Nature2 with about CYA at 25. The only additional chemicals I have added are Boric acid to 50 PPM, Acid magic (muriatic acid), dry acid to lower Ph, baking soda once, hydrogen peroxide once (to lower chlorine) and the weekly Ahh-some product (not the purge product). Are any of these products incompatible for SWG?

They probably state so to better ensure the average tub owner starts with good water. Yours is already WAY ahead of the Jones’s being here. :)

Reactions: duganderson
I have my CYA at 25 but am adding a SWG. I've seen posts here and other places that say SWG hot tubs should have a higher CYA but that does not seem correct. Mine is outside but it is covered most of the time except when it's being used or I'm trying to burn off extra FC or CC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.