Do I need to worry about suction vac line freezing???

cbrownGA

Aug 26, 2016
Atlanta, GA
From another thread I've learned I'm probably ok to leave my robot cleaner in the pool this winter, that is unless things get REALLY cold in Atlanta. That leads me to another question about my now not-used suction-side vac line.

I have a vac-lock cover on the line opening on in the side of the pool that snaps shut with the vac hose isn't connected. In years past, I've left the suction cleaner in the pool and the suction valve about 1/2 way open on nights when the temp is expected to drop below 35 and the freeze guard would run the pump.

With the suction side cleaner not in service there is nothing plugged into this line. What are your thoughts on if I need to protect this line from freezing on cold evenings (or the 3-4 day run below freezing we MAY have in late February this year)? Should I unscrew the vac-lock cover and open the valve a little on those days, or just leave it alone?

I thought about creating a safety cover with a mesh opening and to install in the vac lock in case any trash may fall into the pool as well.

What do other do with their vac line on cold evenings?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

cbrownGA

Aug 26, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I've used it a couple of times this month to help with the deluge of leaves we get as I had to break out the leaf canister and manual vac...so I suppose for the winter I'm just looking for any thoughts on how to best protect from any freezing temps. Not sure I"m ready to cap it and call it done forever.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Chris,

Seems to me as long as your equipment pad is above the level of your pool, then leaving the vac door open would drop the water level in the vac pipe to the water level in the pool.. This should be several inches below the ground level and unlikely to freeze in the South. Obviously the vac line valve would be off.

Thanks,

Jim R.