Do I need to replace my filters

Jpschulz

Jul 11, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Thank you in advance for helping with my seemingly simple and dumb question!

I have a Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter system. I have been getting quite a bit of debris ending up in the Caretaker water valve dome stainer. The cartridges are about 5-6 years old but they don’t have any visible signs of failure that I can see and I clean them regularly. My question is this- is there anything else that could have failed in the cartridge housing that would be allowing debris through or do I simply need to replace the cartridges.

Thank you in advance!!
-Jarrett

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Jarret,

My original filters are now 9 years old and my second set are 7 years old.. I clean mine once a year and my pressure never rises more than 2 PSI for the year..

How much PSI rise are your filters having before you clean them? do you have a second set to change out when you are cleaning the first set? what is your normal PSI? WHat size pump do you have? Do you have a VS pump?

Please fill out your signature, this will help us with these questions :)

Jpschulz

Jul 11, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Thank you for the quick reply! As requested, I have updated my sig. I clean my filters 3-4 times per year because I have very large leafy trees that shed into the pool all year long. I live in AZ so I'll deal with that to trade for the shade. I don't see any change in PSI-post cleanings since I keep very much on top of it. I generally don't see any shift in PSI before and after cleanings. I have a 1.5 HP VS pump.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
I would not worry about anything, sometimes I get some debris up there also but not bad... From what I have read we will need to replace the filters when they start separating and the glue will start to let loose on the bands.. I have another brand new set that I will start to use once that happens to the first pair of mine...

I would just watch yours and see :)

Great job on your signature (y)

Jpschulz

Jul 11, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Thank you again!

I guess just to clarify a bit, I’m not talking about a small amount of debris at the caretaker strainer cup. I have to empty the cup at a max of once a week or the build up is so significant the caretaker doesn’t get enough pressure to run. So this definitely is an issue I’m trying to understand so I can fix it.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
I am missing something, I thought you were talking about the metal filter in the top of the filter getting debris on it.. What is this caretaker strainer cup?

this part is what I was talking about
1626171972382.png

Jpschulz

Jul 11, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Sorry for any confusion. I’m referring the strainer cup on top of the Caretaker water valve for the in-floor cleaning system which has a strainer cup on top. Here is a picture for reference. 315535C9-86BC-45A6-9BAF-69EB47329C6C.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread