Do I need new sand?

May 24, 2007
Memphis, TN
My pool is turning dirty and in a quick fashion. Not allege or other type of organics, just goes from clear to completely dirty within a week or so. If I use a flock or clarifier it will all drop and I can clean to waste. I've opened up the sand and ran a hose in there with my hand to "clean" and break up the sand more than backwashing will do. As it stands now, it just doesn't seem to be filtering the water at all...and this came on kinda sudden. Even if I use DE powder to enhance the sand filtering process...just doesn't seem to work.

So the question is should I go through the replacement process...even though its the end of the year and I'm soon to close? Or should I just balance the chemicals and close with this dirt still in the water (I hate that idea though and could do a flock to clean out before hand). We've lived in this home for 4 yrs and I do not have any idea how old the current sand is.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Like poolguynj, I doubt the sand is the culprit. I suspect your water chemistry lacks chlorine (or you could have mechanical issues as poolguynj suggests). You will get much better advice if you post a set of test results and we'll go from there.

Hmm....assuming the chemistry is correct (I'm not in the country right now to check...wife doing work, etc), when I return how do I go about checking the aforementioned mechanical issues? I thought the broken lateral situtation would result in sand coming in the pool via returns (which it is not).

thanks!

My first choice would be to check the chemistry because that's easy. If that's not the issue, you can start to inspect your filter.

PS - After re-reading your post, I strongly suspect your chemistry (lack of chlorine) as the issue. Floc and Clarifiers are never needed in a properly balanced pool. I would plan to shock the pool when you get back.

Pool School has two good articles....the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and How to Shock your Pool....check 'em out.

I'll be back in the good ole' USofA on Thurs. In the meantime the wife has been adding chlorine for me twice a day with 24 hr pumping to see if its an allege bloom. I do not expect it to be as I had this issue just prior to leaving where the pool is just getting dirty, no filter pressure rise, and the dirt was settling to the bottom...but was so fine I could only vacuum to waste (which is killing me in new water).

So, if it is NOT a bloom...how do I check for the other mechanical problems?

thx.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.