Do I just trash my solar cover because of algae growth?

Brian W

Bronze Supporter
Apr 25, 2020
Brea, California
Hi all,

So quick background, just started heater for the first time ever last month. Guessing that the extra heat allowed algae to grow faster than the low setting I had my SWG on. One morning I tested it and my FC was 0-- oops.

I just started a SLAM because my OCLT test still showed a definite drop after ramping up my SWG for a few days. My water is crystal clear, my CC's were never above 0.5.

My cover (24 ft round cut in half, clamped to 10 ft abs core pipes) has sporadic bubbles that have algae but a visible amount, the only spot I can think of that would be causing the drop at night. (or the pipes or filter but I just washed that out and didn't see anything - stair doesn't have anything visible)

So. I the cover irreparable? If I leave it on for the SLAM will that kill it? If I dry them out will that kill the algae?

Or anything else I am not thinking of for this entire process?

I would not want to use a cover that was growing algae. Is it inside bubbles or between?

Seems to be inside the bubbles, I am like you-- I'll get rid of the cover if that's the wisdom, but don't want to waste the money if I don't need to.
Well, you can try cleaning it. I wouldn’t want to submerge in pool while you are SLAMming, at least not until water is clear. Then cover in, at SLAM level.

BUT, I would be very concerned that I didn’t hit it all and it’s going to spread again, so really, if it were me, I’d toss it.

Thanks for the replies,

1) I should have adjusted the SWG when I added the heat--- first timer mistake.
2) It's not like anything is covered in algae visibly, probably a total of 100-125 bubbles on my 24 ft round cover that I can see. (Is there algae if I can't see it?
3) Just wondering if I have the cover on while SLAMMING will it kill the algae on it/in it or is it a lost cause.

It has kept the pool temperature higher--- as it's supposed too.

Brian

Reactions: ArsenalFan
If there is any algae inside the bubbles then those bubbles have popped and are taking water. It goes stagnant quickly and starts to grow nasty stuff. If the growth is simply around the bubbles, Use a brush and straight bleach to scrub it.

But this sounds like it’s inside the bubbles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.