Do I HAVE to drain?

Cravi5

Bronze Supporter
May 7, 2020
Nj
Hi. I inadvertently skipped pipe dope/tape at the screw connection for the return and it’s leaking. It was a very slow leak but it’s getting worse. Is there a way I can seal it for now until I close the pool at the end of the season?

putty/caulk that would work if applied while wet? I don’t want to use an epoxy since I’d like to save the fittings.

I will drain if I have to, but trying to avoid it if possible.

Thanks.

Can you post a pic?
Yup!
6E6CDBB4-A1C1-47DA-81E2-7C4BF5A4702B.jpeg
Water accumulating
3272E646-44B5-4C9F-AC32-AA8169DF02FE.jpeg

It’s leaking at the threaded connection.
The pool came with the house we just bought. You can see the sealant on the threads from the previous owner. I did my best to clean it off the threaded part that would actually get screwed but now that I think about it that may also be the issue.

Attachments

• DBB3A328-3406-4019-AE9D-D3E5FC15EB90.jpeg
    DBB3A328-3406-4019-AE9D-D3E5FC15EB90.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 6
Is it leaking from the threads that hold the return onto the pool or the threads where the hose adapter is screwed into the return? It’s a little hard to tell from the picture. If it’s leaking from the threads that hold the return onto the pool, which seems to be where all the goop is, then I think you may have a bigger problem. Those threads aren’t supposed to seal water out at all. They just provide physical force to hold the return onto the pool. There should be a rubber gasket on the inside of the pool. It looks like the gasket may be installed on the outside of the pool which is not correct.

Rather than using some goop to try to seal things you should figure out why it’s leaking and fix the problem.

Reactions: revitup
If it is the threads from the hose barb, you could have someone in the pool cover the fitting with a bowl to keep the water out while you remove the fitting, clean it, tape it, reinstall.

If it is the return fitting -> pool, then as mentioned, there needs to be a rubber gasket on the pool side. I don't have a metal wall pool, so am not sure of the order of gaskets. On my vinyl pool, it is fitting->gasket->vinyl liner->gasket->fitting nut. As Brett said, the nut is just there to supply the force to hold it together. Same bowl trick could be used while you disconnect the hose and get the nut loose. (May or may not need to remove the hose barb fitting, but this would be a good time to retape it anyway!) Once you have the hose and nut off, slide the bowl to the side, pop the return out, slide the bowl back across the hole. Now your helper gets to stand in the pool and wait for you to get the return ready to be replaced!

Andrew

Thanks. I believe it’s leaking here.

Yes I did install the gaskets (I don’t recall the exact order).

I will try the bowl trick or worst case just drain if I have to. Thanks for your help.

F39F181F-51BF-46DF-9CC4-0222DBCBA74D.jpeg

Yeah, if it’s leaking there then I would check to make sure that A) there is a rubber gasket on the inside of the pool, and B) the gasket is still soft and not damaged. You can also use some silicone grease on both sides of the gasket to help it seal.

Reactions: Andrew_D
Mine was leaking there but I was finally able to tighten it up with big channel locks - It was definitely a bugger!
worst case you’ll need to get a whole new assembly & replace it at the end of the season.
for winterizing & maintenance purposes i picked up some screw in plugs to put in from the inside like this
A9CB7D71-1A31-47B9-A484-3ED140B87A09.jpeg

Reactions: Andrew_D
Another option is these plugs (see pic).

I have a few different sizes from various pools over the years. Pop them in the hole and water pressure holds them there.

Andrew

Attachments

• Pool plugs.jpg
    Pool plugs.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Mdragger88
Yeah, if it’s leaking there then I would check to make sure that A) there is a rubber gasket on the inside of the pool, and B) the gasket is still soft and not damaged. You can also use some silicone grease on both sides of the gasket to help it seal.

Thanks. Im pretty sure I installed gaskets per the liner instructions. Gaskets are new (liner replaced this season). I don’t believe I greased them though

Mine was leaking there but I was finally able to tighten it up with big channel locks - It was definitely a bugger!
worst case you’ll need to get a whole new assembly & replace it at the end of the season.
for winterizing & maintenance purposes i picked up some screw in plugs to put in from the inside like this
View attachment 153914
Another option is these plugs (see pic).

I have a few different sizes from various pools over the years. Pop them in the hole and water pressure holds them there.

Andrew

thanks. Those plugs are great ideas. I’ll have to pick some up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.