Do I have the proper capacitor for my pump?

dlwxman

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2013
Lafayette, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
My pump died and I'm hoping it's just the capacitor (the impellor moves freely). I bought a capacitor for less than $7. All the numbers on the new one match the old one except the old one says 124-148uf and the new one says 124-156uf. Will the new one work?

My pump died and I'm hoping it's just the capacitor (the impellor moves freely). I bought a capacitor for less than $7. All the numbers on the new one match the old one except the old one says 124-148uf and the new one says 124-156uf. Will the new one work?

If all the other specs are equal that capacitor should work.

If all the other specs are equal that capacitor should work.
Okay so I hooked up the new capacitor just like the old one (or so I thought). I removed one wire from the old one and placed it on the same terminal on the new one, etc etc until all three wires were replaced. I then tested the pump and the new capacitor blew up...smoke everywhere. I don't know where I went wrong. Any thoughts?

Do you have a picture of the back where the wires are?

Most likely, the centrifugal switch is stuck or the wires to the capacitor were left out of the stands where the centrifugal switch could snag them or the capacitor is miswired.

I will take a pic tomorrow when there's more light. But it is a mess inside. However the wires were in the same position as they were with the old capacitor. Probably miswired but I didn't see anything on the capacitor showing the difference between the terminals.

The capacitor should have 4 terminals, which are really 2 since 2 on each side are tied together.

The two yellow wires go to one set of terminals and the white with red stripe goes to the other set of terminals.

Did the motor run at all?

That's the way I wired it. The capacitor blew up the instant I turned the power on. Maybe there's more to it than just the capacitor. I'm giving up on this one and ordering a new pump. This one only lasted 3 years....got 6 out of the previous one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.