Do I have recourse against pool builder

Man...that is a problem that I would not want to have. I personally would get a landscape expert, or two, out there to look at it.

From the pictures it looks like the majority of your back yard slopes towards the pool (not good). I don't know with that slope if french drains alone would catch all the runoff during a heavy rain. I can see some of the runoff going over the top of the drain (especially if covered with grass) and into the pool. I think the best bet would be to install a low retaining wall all the way around the back side of the pool with a french drain along the wall. Either way...you are probably going to, temporarily, mess up a very nice yard to fix it.

We had to put a recharge trench (French drain with 8” perf pipe) around our entire pool. This was actually required in the plans approved by the township and not something our PB even discussed with us (the property topo surveyer put it in there). PB bluntly told us that was our responsibility. No big deal, we dug the trench and buried everything once PB was done. Our pool was installed 1’ higher than our house finished floor grade; but the drain is really to prevent runoff back towards our foundation or the neighbors yard.

You’d never know we had it under our new lawn.

Man...that is a problem that I would not want to have. I personally would get a landscape expert, or two, out there to look at it.

From the pictures it looks like the majority of your back yard slopes towards the pool (not good). I don't know with that slope if french drains alone would catch all the runoff during a heavy rain. I can see some of the runoff going over the top of the drain (especially if covered with grass) and into the pool. I think the best bet would be to install a low retaining wall all the way around the back side of the pool with a french drain along the wall. Either way...you are probably going to, temporarily, mess up a very nice yard to fix it.
I agree that this is where my head's at on this one. French drains are less likely to handle a deluge unless they also have sizable open/exposed grates to accept a massive inflow. The brute force method of berms and/or retaining walls are what I'd lean towards. And specifically, since you don't have a lot of real estate to work with back there, I'd lean towards retaining walls versus berms (though perhaps some of the latter may come into play).

As to your post question of recourse, I'm on James' side that although the PB should have built it higher (solving all problems), that's not typically stated as being their obligation to get the drainage correct. Thought it clearly should be implied, it really isn't. So recourse? Probably not, or at least not easily or worthwhile. Though the fix may end up being quite spendy.

Ugh, that sucks. Can tell from the pics that your pool should have been built 1-2 ft higher ... As for remedy, I don't see how "grading" could help, as the back of your yard is clearly higher than your pool. And I agree that a storm drain alone is probably not enough -- I'd look at a retaining wall or berm in addition to the drain. Do you have a spot where the water can exit the drain? As for recourse, that depends on your contract. If PB was solely responsible for elevation, then I could see you getting something from him, but you'll probably have to pay an attorney by the hour, hire an expert, etc. Could be more costly than the fix. I've done a couple of similar cases where the pool companies have settled early, though, so it might be worth a shot.

I dont really see how a pool builder would know the flow of water coming in from a neighbors yard, that isnt really their expertise. I think the solution is relatively inexpensive no matter which way you go.

It depends on your contract, but unless it was explicitly called out I would just take care of it myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.