Do cartridge connections need to be watertight? Acceptable bypass?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I have recently swapped from a sand filter to a cartridge filter. The water is clear, and the filter appears to be working well., however I notice the cartridge connections inside the filter don't seem as though they'd be 100% watertight? They seem slightly loose. (My sand filter was similarly loose where the standpipe slotted into the multi port valve.)

Is it a problem that a little bit of water bypasses the cartridge?

Last edited:

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
There should be no leak between the shells at all, please post some pictures so we can see what your seeing... I have had mine over 6 years and has never leaked... :)

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Tom,

I assume you are saying that where the cartridges meet the upper and lower manifolds is a little loose or sloppy.. Since the cartridges are anything but water tight, then I doubt it makes any difference at all if a tiny bit of water could bypass the cartridges. I certainly don't think that mine are loose enough to let any debris through. My CCP-520 also has a spring at the top that I assume keeps the cartridges from moving up.

I really doubt that your filter has any problems.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mknauss

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
assume you are saying that where the cartridges meet the upper and lower manifolds is a little loose or sloppy..

Yes, there’s a little bit of slop.

The filter seems to be running fine, but it occured to me that some water must be bypassing via the small gap.

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
There should be no leak between the shells at all, please post some pictures so we can see what your seeing... I have had mine over 6 years and has never leaked... :)

Im talking about where the ends of the cartridge connect to the filter body. You couldn’t see if there’s any leak, as it’s all contained inside the filter. See attached image:

201707161808252148.png

Last edited:

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Tom,

If you want, I can send you a list of 259,999 more important things for you to worry about other than your filter... :mrgreen:

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.