DIY Steel Wall Pool

AquaticQuests

Feb 3, 2021
Africa
Greetings,

So for a long time ive been looking into possibility of a DIY shipping container pool.

HOWEVER more recently Ive thought it may make more sense (and probably cheaper) to just build a metal wall pool from the ground up and not be restricted by dimensions.

My initial idea is to build a rectangular pool probably about 20ft by 8 ft with a height of 54 inches.

Im thinking of using metal sheets reinforced by beams running the length and width of the structure to form the support for the walls, and the metal panels forming the walls, and then a vinyl liner inside!
And the whole thing will then be placed on a concrete base/slab.

Some of my questions are
1) what metal material to use for the metal panels? Stainless steel?
What thickness should the panel be?

2) What type of support beams to use? Steel beams? And if so, what specs of strength/thickness?

3) Can I have the floor metal as well, or do i just place the steel walls on the concrete directly, and then pad everything and install the liner?

4) If i wanted to instal a step or two into the pool would tge metal panels hold the weight of the water or would I need to scoop sand under the void under the stairs to support the weight of water plus a human standing/sitting on it?

I really would like to embark on this project immediately!

Hi and welcome to TFP!

You will be reinventing the wheel. I suggest you look into the above ground, steel walled pools for the information you need. Look at any install guide to show you how they do the bottoms and such. It will also show you how these pools are supported.

Good luck on this journey.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.