DIY solar storage tank that you can swim in future owner

pfromero

Jan 5, 2020
Reno, NV
Hi all,

I'm building a 1900 gallon solar thermal storage tank using almost identically the process featured in the "This Old House" segment on Plunge Pool construction. One benefit of the project is that in addition to providing solar hot water storage, it will be a 12'x6.5'x 4.5' pool, My goal is to do the research here on the forums BEFORE I make an expensive mistake. Right now, the main discussion our family is having is to buy new equipment or used (in Craigslist etc)?
Thank you for this large repository of information!

Paul

Is this what you are planning to do?

How to Install a Plunge Pool

You buying a precast structure or building and tiling it yourself?

What equipment are you planning to install?

How do you intend to sanitize the pool?

Explain "providing solar hot water storage"?

Reactions: Shirker
Hi there,
Yes that is the process. The video shows a lot of the details. The solar thermal aspect means a lot of insulation and a hottub like cover. In addition, it will require a heat exchanger between the "primary loop" of the solar panels snd the "secondary loop" of the pool. Currently there are hot water solar panels supplying an inadequate 200 gallon storage tank in the house and then thru more heat exchangers..
heats the house thru radiant heat. It is hoped that in the Spring, Fall, and Winter, the new storage tank will act as a heat reservoir for night and cloudy day heating. At 100-110 degrees, it should be doable as a pool too. Our local precast concrete manufacturer has an excellent shape that weighs in at a whopping 16000 lbs and holds 1900 gallons.
Thanks for your reply, and I hope to research on this website before and after the pool (actually original purpose is an electrical vault) goes in next week

Paul

Last edited:
What does the heat exchanger look like on the pool side? Something similar to pex tubing in the water? I don't know anything about what you are doing but I am curious. Ideally you would want an exchanger with large surface area, right? Is there going to be a lot of room to swim in? Or is the tubing going to be embedded in the concrete and not actually in the water?

There are a lot of DIY/Engineer types active on this forum. Keep us posted with details and pictures of what you are doing by creating a build thread.