DIY liquid chlorinator

HartA7

May 24, 2018
Colleyville Texas
Hello everyone. I've been looking into the Hasa unit and some of the DIY systems I've seen here, but frankly they all seem like they're more complicated than they need to be. the Hasa system has bobbers and multiple hose lines.

Why can't it be as simple as a bucket with one line plumbed into the suction side of the pump. Use a check valve to regulate flow in one direction, and a needle valve to control how much bleach is used. Whenever the pump is running it should suck bleach into the pipes at a rate determined by the needle valve. What am I missing?

What am I missing?
The fact that introducing undiluted chlorine into the suction side will destroy your pump. That's why people inject chlorine on the pressure side using Stenner type pumps. As for the complexity of the Hasa Liquidator, there is some engineering behind its design. Here is a good description of how the Liquidator works. If you want more detail, read the Liquidators patent, U.S. PATENT NO. 4,879,027).
I have a 30K gallon pool and used a Liquidator for 6 years and was very happy with it. Finally I got sick of lugging around bleach bottles so i installed a SWCG. If I was living in Texas with a 30K gallon pool I would either go the Stenner pump route or a SWCG.

Take a look at this thread. @mas985 used drip irrigation buttons to do essentially what you plan to do. Later on in the thread someone brings up the idea of using a needle valve.

What you're describing is basically the same as the 'Homemade Chlorine Injector' created by member(s) here.

The biggest issue is finding a flow restriction device (drip nozzles, needle valve, etc.) that has fine enough adjustments and that will last in a bleach environment. The Hayward needle valve will last pretty well, but is a little course adjusting to get just the right amount of bleach dispensing.

IMO it would be easier to trap 1/8 cup of bleach from a large container and have it dispense once every 30 min, instead of finding/using/adjusting the needle method. (Both amount and rate could be changed for the application).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.