DIY Hot Tub, 750 gallons, Questions and Build Updates (Finished!)

Thanks! I plan just one or two steps in the front 16 inches high total which is the same height as the bench on the inside. To get in you would use the step to sit on the ledge and swivel your legs around to drop in on the bench seat on the inside. Basically, you get in the same way you get out. I've been using a step stool for this and it works great.

Reactions: A.O.
I knocked out the plumbing yesterday. Let me know if anything doesn't look right. I couldn't find sweeping elbows at lowes or HD so i used 45s and doubled up on the supply line from heater the heater to the jet manifold. The weird upside down pic is the plumbing for the topside air controll valve. I ordered jet inserts a few months ago and just realized after checking my emails that the order was cancelled and they never shipped. Hopefully i can pick some up at lesslies but i think its a long shot. Working on electrical next.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210808-093601_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-093601_Gallery.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210808-093609_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-093609_Gallery.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210808-093618_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-093618_Gallery.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20210808-093630_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-093630_Gallery.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20210808-093649_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-093649_Gallery.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20210808-093641_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-093641_Gallery.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 34
Looks good with 2 questions..

1. do you have enough room to get the top of the filter off?
2. why 2 pipes going to the same pipe? Those ball valves only last a couple years then the ears break off and need to be replaced...

1628441917797.png

Couple of questions..

I didn't install waterline tile (which may have been a mistake) so when i initially fill the tub should i overfill to the very top to allow the plaster to harden what will be above the waterline? The mfg of the plaster states it requires 14 days to fully cure at which point i would drop the level to normal.

Any recommendations where i can order a custom fit spa cover?

Looks good with 2 questions..

1. do you have enough room to get the top of the filter off?
2. why 2 pipes going to the same pipe? Those ball valves only last a couple years then the ears break off and need to be replaced...

View attachment 362616
Thanks for quick feedback! Yeah the filter is out far enough to get off with no issues. The two lines are my attempt to reduce pressure loss... really no other purpose. Yeah i read that about those valves. In a year or two i'll redo it with the correct valve and sweeps and eliminate one of those lines.

ahh, custom fit, Ohh yes and these guys are great :)

Get this one with all the fixens, the more the better..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not a lot to post about this week. We are heading to Catalina on thursday for a camping trip so I spent a fair amount of time prepping for that, but I did make some progress on the trench for the power line. I think i may take the opportunity to drop in a rubber barrier to help contain the bamboo while I'm at it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210815-134406_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210815-134406_Gallery.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 22
I filled the hot tub yesterday and today i need to deal with water chemistry. I am a dummy for not doing more research and practicing with the TF100 kit, so i think i meed some help getting started. The startup procedure for the plaster requires ph of 7.4 to 7.6 and alkalinity from 80 to 120. Here's what i have based on my testing this morning.
Ph 8.5 (estimate because its above the scale)
FC 0.5 to 1
TA 200
CYA 0? (The solution never went cloudy and obscured the black dot)

So thoughts and next steps? Are there other tests needed immediately to determine what to do next? I'm heading to the pool store when they open and will be reading up as much as possible between now and then. I assume i need to bring the ph down with acid as a first step?

I'm heading to the pool store when they open
Stop. No need to do that.
Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware should have what you need.
You need stabilizer (CYA), acid (31.45% or 14.5% muriatic acid, and liquid chlorine).

Are you following a plaster start up process?

Stop. No need to do that.
Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware should have what you need.
You need stabilizer (CYA), acid (31.45% or 14.5% muriatic acid, and liquid chlorine).

Are you following a plaster start up process?
Thanks for the quick replay! I'll pick some up from wallmart. I think they have it there. The plaster is not traditional, its a roll on by sider-crete. No chlorine for first 3 days and no brushing or salt additions for 14 days, no calcium chloride for 5 days. Run filter pump constant for first 5 days.

So far I've used a little over a half gallon of 14.5 % MA and the pH is still high (TA down to 60). I plan to keep adding acid until the pH comes down, but is that the right move?

I'm not able to brush the plaster for the first 14 days so there's a lot of dust settled out on the bottom which are the lighter colored areas in the photo. Should I rig up a vacuum and suck it out or just leave it and deal with it when I'm able to brush?

I also still need to install the jet inserts. When the time comes I think I'll drain about half of the volume into a kiddie pool and then pump it back when I'm done.

On Saturday I didn't complete the electrical work until around 9:30 pm and when I flipped the breakers the topside controller was acting funny, and I could only get the pump to run at high speed :scratch:. Well in the morning I noticed I screwed right through the the ribbon when I screwed on the spa controller cover. Fortunately the screw pierced between two wires and didn't sever them completely so I was able to repair it and get everything working. I must say I'm really happy with how quite the pump is on low speed! You really can't even hear it unless you're right up next to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210830-074518_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210830-074518_Gallery.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210830-075615_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210830-075615_Gallery.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210830-094422_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210830-094422_Gallery.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 20
If you can not brush I would vacuum it out... Your PH is up there... where do your drop your PH to and how long does it take to get that high again?

A screw will do that every time :)

So far I've used a little over a half gallon of 14.5 % MA and the pH is still high (TA down to 60). I plan to keep adding acid until the pH comes down, but is that the right move?
Yes, Keep lowering PH to 7.4-7.6. After adding MA, let it circulate for 30 mins then recheck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dirrby

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.