DIY Hot Tub, 750 gallons, Questions and Build Updates (Finished!)

Sidercrete would be a MUCH Better option instead of paint.. It is actually plaster and will last, Not sure how long 104 degree paint will last, maybe a couple weeks :)

Thank you!! I much prefer this over paint! They also provide a product for the basecoat that looks reasonably priced. I need to look into it more, but I think this is the route I will go. Thanks again.

You can mix your own basecoat or mud bed as they call it.. :)

3:1 Site Mix (by volume) – 3 parts ASTM C-144 sand to 1 part ASTM C-150 portland cement mixed with water or an acrylic/latex with Anti-hydro***
cement-mortar additive at 15 parts water to 1 part Anti Hydro.

This will be 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick on the sides and 1 to 2 inch on the bottom..

That's good to know, but I'm going to play it safe and go with the premix. For $125 I think it's worth avoiding mistakes and creating more work for myself.

I just need to decide which color to get for the roll-on top coat. I'm leaning towards white, but open to desert sand or Caribbean blue. I'd appreciate feedback from other spa owners. Does it come down to personal preference, or are there certain colors you should avoid for specific reasons?

Reactions: cowboycasey
most just get the same color the pool is in and there are many many colors... it is probably the number one asked thing and it really can only be answered by you, pick one you like and go with it... With normal plaster the darker colors can have shading/mottling differences but the whites can also.. that SiderCrete seems to be consistent from what I have seen on video..

More progress today, although mostly on the pavilion. The lumber showed up yesterday and i couldnt wait to get started so i burned some PTO to work on this. Once the top beam and rafters go up i'll shift gears back to finishing the block work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-181726_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-181726_Gallery.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20210428-181701_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-181701_Gallery.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 44

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What mortar are you using for the block? I see your in CA I assume somewhere it doeant freeze? I would advise you to pin down some of that block to the slab and fill the voids to lock it. Just be careful with your block work, i can't use the stuff here except for a foundation. I always feel ita so much easier to make a form and use concrete, even if done in sections.

Reactions: RDspaguy
What mortar are you using for the block? I see your in CA I assume somewhere it doeant freeze? I would advise you to pin down some of that block to the slab and fill the voids to lock it. Just be careful with your block work, i can't use the stuff here except for a foundation. I always feel ita so much easier to make a form and use concrete, even if done in sections.
I'm using quikrete mortar mix and located in san diego county. Good idea on filling the voids. I might give that a try.

So i was able to get the pavilion as far as i can until i figure out what to use for the roof. One more row of blocks and i still need to install the overflow and skimmer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210502-152056_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-152056_Photos.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20210502-152109_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-152109_Photos.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20210502-152127_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-152127_Photos.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 53
Any recommendations on a SWG system? I'm considering pulling the trigger on a Blue Works BLH20. The price point is reasonable and the reviews on Amazon are decent.

The reviews on that ChlorMaker are pretty solid. I actually like the idea of not having to install something inline with my pump, and I can run the wire through the overflow drain pipe and hang the probe in the corner of the tub where it will be mostly out of the way. The drape over system might be the way to go! Simple-and-effective solutions are the best.

And thanks again on the sidercrete recommendation. I placed my order last week and waiting for the shipping info to update. I ended up going with the Caribbean blue. I think that will pair nicely with what I plan to do for the coping/deck. I saw this video on building an outdoor kitchen and like the idea of building the seating around the top of the tub walls using this concrete countertop product from quikrete. I'll probably take a stab at doing one 2 ft. x 3 ft. section and see how it turns out.

1620069615585.png

Slippery when wet, that's how it will turn out. I would use something with some traction.
That's a good point. I didn't intend for people to stand and walk on it, but I can't rule it out either. I'll probably do just that when I'm brushing. Darnit. One more thing to keep thinking about

Its alot of work to make it look good enough to actually keep it. I did a top for an outdoor kitchen I built last year at my house. I ended up adding to it this year and the top wasnt that great so I just bit the bullet om granite. For small stuff you can flip its cake, pour in place is tough amd takes alot of work making the forms

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.