Plaster is alkaline, so new plaster is going to raise your pH, that is why it keeps going up (for now) and you keep adding acid to lower it.So far I've used a little over a half gallon of 14.5 % MA and the pH is still high (TA down to 60). I plan to keep adding acid until the pH comes down, but is that the right move?
I'm not able to brush the plaster for the first 14 days so there's a lot of dust settled out on the bottom which are the lighter colored areas in the photo. Should I rig up a vacuum and suck it out or just leave it and deal with it when I'm able to brush?
I also still need to install the jet inserts. When the time comes I think I'll drain about half of the volume into a kiddie pool and then pump it back when I'm done.
On Saturday I didn't complete the electrical work until around 9:30 pm and when I flipped the breakers the topside controller was acting funny, and I could only get the pump to run at high speed . Well in the morning I noticed I screwed right through the the ribbon when I screwed on the spa controller cover. Fortunately the screw pierced between two wires and didn't sever them completely so I was able to repair it and get everything working. I must say I'm really happy with how quite the pump is on low speed! You really can't even hear it unless you're right up next to it.
The only time I noticed any change was right after a big dose (maybe 6 oz). It was just under 8.0 so I thought I was making some movement so I dosed much less and waited a few hours and when I retested it was right back up bright red. I need to start taking better notesIf you can not brush I would vacuum it out... Your PH is up there... where do your drop your PH to and how long does it take to get that high again?
A screw will do that every time
Thanks for confirming my pH is so high from the new plaster. I thought that was the case but it's really easy to start second guessing.Plaster is alkaline, so new plaster is going to raise your pH, that is why it keeps going up (for now) and you keep adding acid to lower it.
I feel your pain about the electrical work. I just re-did my kitchen (full gut job). I put in underfloor radiant electric heating under ceramic tile. I tested the heat every step of the way to make sure I didn't damage anything. Then I decided I did not like the look of the threshold where it transitioned to hardwood floors. I pulled up the saddle and scraped off some thinnest with a thin screwdriver. That when I put the screwdriver into to cold leg of the heat. I threw on my meter and there was a high resistance fault between the hot and ground braid. Luckily, like you , I did not sever anything. I just pushed some of the ground braid into the hot conductor. I was able to pull about 6 inches of slack and performed surgery using liquid electric tape and then vinyl tape. All has tested good.
You're a lifesaver for pointing this out. I just called Sider-Crete and the tech confirmed I need to get rid of it immediately. I told him I was on day three and he was a little concerned. Off I goThat is strange since the purpose of the brushing is to keep the plaster dust from settling onto surfaces and hardening.
Thanks for confirming my pH is so high from the new plaster. I thought that was the case but it's really easy to start second guessing.
Yikes, sounds like a close call. I don't think it's actually possible to get through a remodel without creating unnecessary work for yourself along the way.