DIY Heater Reusing A Broken Heater?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I've got access to a friend's Heat Pump that's not working. I was thinking...would it be possible to steal some of the internals for a DIY heater? I'm assuming there's a stainless steel heat exchanger or stainless steel coils inside that thing that's would be $$$ to build or buy. If I can take that and use it in either an outdoor wood stove or in a grill or on top of burners (as seen in http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/ ) it would bring me 90% of the way toward a DIY pool heater.

Now...I know that this type of heater design is ineffecient. But, I'd only probably use it a few times a year, just to give the water a jolt. And it's better than nothing and much cheaper than other options (other than solar). Long term I might not save money, but I'm ok with that.

But...back to the main question...what's inside these heat pumps? If I open it up, will I find a reusable stainless steel heat exchanger (or coils) that I could use for this type of plan?

Thanks!

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I doubt you'll find what you want. The tubes inside the heat pump are for the refrigerant, not the water. Probably too small for what you want.

If you're gonna get all creative....

G

You come up with some funny stuff, Richard! Crazy part is, some folks probably really do that :shock:

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
Household6 Everything Else 1
W Above Ground Pools 1
E The Deep End... 1

Other Threads of Interest