DIY closing for the first time - questions about blowing out lines

pfitz4

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2018
North Alabama
This is my third season as a pool owner. I have some questions about closing the pool myself and blowing out the lines. We live in Alabama - we do have freezing temps in the winter but it's usually not extreme. As I understand many do not bother with blowing out lines and/or antifreeze in this climate, but I could be wrong about this.

I hired a pool company to open/close the first two years. As I recall, Year 1 they blew out the lines with a shop vac, and Year 2 they just ran the pump until the water finished draining out of the pipes. My setup has two skimmers, two returns, a polaris return, and a wall drain that sits about 10 inches below the level of the skimmer. There is no main drain on the bottom. Also worth noting, the pump/filter setup is downhill from the pool, which means that water siphons out if a valve is left open or the filter basket is opened. I'm wondering if that's why it wasn't necessary to blow out the lines last year.

If it is necessary to use the shop vac, would I just place it into the skimmer until the water shoots out of the return? There does not seem to be a spot to put the shop vac on the pump end. Or can I skip this step altogether?

After I decide what to do about the lines, my other items are to install the gizmos, return plugs, and cover. Remove plugs from the sand filter. Install cover. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for your help. If my plan doesn't sound right, I can hire the pool company again. Just trying to decide if I can DIY!

Please upload some pictures of the equipment pad (A few from the front, and sides). Also, please upload pictures of the skimmer housing as well. We need to know if you have more than one line, or if your main drain (if you have one) is on a separate run, or tied in with the skimmer, and is the one that sits 10" below.

More on the wall drain that sits 10" below the skimmer (Picture would be great). Is it a small drain or has a large drain cap, just like a main drain. Thank you.

Also worth noting, the pump/filter setup is downhill from the pool, which means that water siphons out if a valve is left open or the filter basket is opened.

Does water siphon back to the pump, and does that mean you have to shut valves off daily? How far below grade is your pump. Most pumps are built at the level of the pool or slightly higher, not lower. You could easily blow air with a shop vac from the skimmers back to the pad as this will work. My concern is removing water from the return lines and the drain that is 10" below. Usually, clearing the lines is done from the equipment side and not backwards.

As mentioned previously, pictures would help a lot. Thanks!

IMG_1963.jpgIMG_1964.jpgIMG_1965.jpg

Hi, I have attached a few pictures. Thanks for the help.

The wall drain is small, only a couple of inches in diameter. I have two skimmers. The pump in the back is the polaris booster.

I estimate that the pump sits about 3-4 feet below the level of the skimmer. I'll try to clarify what I said about the siphoning. No I don't have to shut off valves daily. When I take out the pump filter basket, water pours out unless the orange return valves are closed. Also if I remove the salt cell, water pours out. Hope that makes sense.

... How many returns in the pool?
... The wall drain is on the suction side?
... Can the wall drain be plugged or does the eyeball/return or whatever is there come off easily?
... Can a winter plug fit in there as well?
... Assuming your second port closed?

You can use a shop vac and clear the lines from the skimmers. Blow air backwards to the pump area. Remove the drain plug and water will drain out. Lower water below the skimmer & after you are done, then plug with a Gizzmo. The wall drain will probably need to be cleared from the pump housing (again with an NPT fitting).

The only other option (which is pretty straight forward) with an air compressor is to purchase blow-thru plugs (# 8 and # 10) for 1.5-inch plumbing and you can easily purge the lines of water and plug them with whatever is necessary. I personally like working from the equipment pad as you can clear the suction side (water being pulled in from the pool), and the return side (water being sent back to the pool). Make sure you winterize the pump, filter and Polaris properly.

Then with whatever method you want to use, blow air through the return side to clear the lines. You may have to work from the pump with an NPT fitting and move air through the filter as to reach both the Polaris line and the return lines.

Blow-Thru Valve Winter Pool Plugs - Various Sizes

... How many returns in the pool? 2
... The wall drain is on the suction side? Yes, if I understand the question correctly.
... Can the wall drain be plugged or does the eyeball/return or whatever is there come off easily? Yes.
... Can a winter plug fit in there as well? Yes.
... Assuming your second port closed? Not sure what this means.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.