DIY cartridge filter cluster

Jan 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Hi,

I don't want to pay A$3K for a Zodiac CV460, can I just plumb multiple cartridges in parallel? Split the pump outlet to 2-4 pipes put each of the pipes into a set of identical filters inlets and do the reverse on the filter outlets, I could even have valves on the filter inlets to allow me to run the filters minus one (probably have to have check valves on the filter outlets so maybe that's getting too complex)

Anyone done this?

I reckon the DIY way would be less than half the price of the CV460.

Thanks.
Richard

Last edited:
Richard,

I can't see why not.... But the question is why is the filter you have not enough? How big is it now?

Please keep in mind that the filter is not there to combat algae.. It is simply there to capture the little things that fall into the pool and then float through your skimmers. If you have algae, a bigger filter will not help. Algae is a chemical problem, not a filter problem.

That said, I am all about having the biggest filter you can get, just to reduce the filter pressure, which allows you run your pump at a slower speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: rthorntn
You will gain filter capacity at the expense of complexity, labor, and hassle.

As long at the input runs are similar I don't think you need checks , it is a possibility but if I were to do this I would try it without and leave room to put checks in.

Reactions: rthorntn
I should explain, I currently have a very tall filter, the current pool equipment is located in an area with significant height restrictions, this is a problem.

I would like a cluster of much shorter filters.

I could move the pool equipment somewhere else but I think this might be a better idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.