Diving board

Not all insurance companies raise rates for a diving board that is largely a myth. Installing will be another issue since it needs to be connected to your bonding grid. How deep is your pool?

My insurance didn't even change with the addition of the pool and diving board. Maybe I was being over charged? Lol.

I do carry a hefty umbrella policy, so maybe it just rolled under that. Who knows.

We don’t have a diving board. We have 5 grandkids age 2 to 5. Like to know if having one, is it worth the risk? Worth the xx money for insurance? How much would the insurance be?

From my limited experience, insurance for a diving board is all or nothing. They either don't care if you have one or they won't allow it. There's no "upcharge" to add one if the insurer allows it (and, as noted above, a large umbrella policy is always a good idea). The two big issues are adequate depth for diving and proper bonding of the board assembly. There was an existing diving board on our pool when we bought it. We swapped it out for a new one a couple of years ago. It gets a LOT of use from kids and adults of all ages. On the plus side it makes it a lot easier for the kids to understand that diving is only okay from the board.

From my limited experience, insurance for a diving board is all or nothing. They either don't care if you have one or they won't allow it. There's no "upcharge" to add one if the insurer allows it (and, as noted above, a large umbrella policy is always a good idea). The two big issues are adequate depth for diving and proper bonding of the board assembly. There was an existing diving board on our pool when we bought it. We swapped it out for a new one a couple of years ago. It gets a LOT of use from kids and adults of all ages. On the plus side it makes it a lot easier for the kids to understand that diving is only okay from the board.

I'm going to second the quoted post. Once you have a board, it's natural you start to explaining he rules, it's only okay to jump from the board, one at a time, wait until the person in water gets to the ladder on the side...

So there's a lot of opinions here on boards mostly one way or entirely the other. For what it's worth, I'm completely on the side of having a board. I don't have kids but friends come over with theirs on weekends and when at first I had to really convince them to please use the board and not jump off the side. It made me way too nervous watching them jump off the side, the little ones don't get very far out and since I have a vinyl pool along the edge of the pool isn't very deep at all. For whatever reason when they jump off board they seem to jump farther out and away from the board and they're jumping solidly into the deep area of the pool. Put together the fact that they wear floaties and they are little enough that they still want someone out in the deep end to "catch" them, I feel much safer about it then back when they wanted to jump from the side.

If the pool is 8' deep at the deep end then it was most probably designed to accomodate a diving board. How deep is the pool? As for the bonding, this may be a challenge. Usually the diving board is above the light. Drilling a smallish hole in the decking above the light may give you access to the light bonding wire which you can attach to the diving board mounting bolts. I assume you're going with an SR Smith Flyte 2 type board?

When we built our pool, the diving board wasn't an issue. However, 3 or 4 years ago it became very difficult to find a company that would insure a diving pool. We found a company, but if they drop us we'll have to consider removing the board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.