Diverter Valve- Main Drain vs Skimmer

Jul 11, 2018
Surprise,AZ
I am a new pool owner and I have some questions about the diverter valve placement/location. I have 1 drain and 1 skimmer. Pool is about 10k gallons with in floor cleaning system.

1. Where should the valve placement be normally? 80% Skimmer 20% Main Drain? 50/50?

2. When adding chemicals should the valve placement be any different than it normally is?

3. Does the valve placement affect the way the in floor cleaning system works or the how the pop up heads perform?

With an infloor cleaning system you need the main drain to pull in the debris from it operating. So I would imagine it needs to be nearly all main drain for your type cleaning system.

Start out 75% skimmer and 25% main drain. If necessary, adjust every 2-3 days to attain adequate skimmer action balanced with the main drain picking up debris from the infloor. You will need to experiment to find the sweet spot for your pool. Once you get it locked in, you won't have to adjust that valve very often.

Do you happen to have a venturi skimmer or a regular skimmer?

How many hours per day are you running your pump at a high enough speed for the infloor to do its job?

Venturi skimmer will allow you to set more % to main drain while not reducing skimmer function. Maybe try 50/50 skimmer/main drain and go from there. You should have a valve on your return side to adjust flow to the venturi skimmer to increase the venturi effect to the skimmer.

I run 2 hours AM (5-7) and 2 hours PM (4-6) at 2900 rpm for infloor cleaning. The rest of my run time is at 1100 rpm. This cleaning cycle seems to keep the pool clean.

What rpm are you using for both cycles?

You show a VS pump in your signature. A variable speed pump can be programmed to run from about 600 rpm to 3450 rpm. You can usually see the rpm setting on the pump control panel - or, since you have an ET4 you can see the pump rpm in the ET screen ... somewhere (sorry, don't have an ET so can't say exactly where). Maybe @Jimrahbe can guide you to the pump speed settings on your ET.

A two speed pump has two speeds - 1750 rpm and 3450 rpm.

If you have ScreenLogic on your PC, you should have a screen like this.. The PC has much better screen than the phone..

If you only use your phone, you will need the SLConfig app to see and set the speeds.

You can always just use the main panel.. Menu, Settings, IntelliFlo, pump#1, speeds..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.