Dissolving CYA in cold water

Aug 19, 2014
San Carlos, CA
Due to some heavy rains this winter and draining off excess water, my CYA level has drifted down, now at 23 ppm. I plan to bring it back up to 40 with dry stabilizer, but I’m wondering how water temp will affect disolving the CYA using the sock method. Should I wait until temperatures rise and the water is warmer? The current water temp is 52F and I’d rather not heat the pool until the Spring.
It’s a plaster, in-ground pool, all other chemistry has been stabile.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don’t know how you get a CYA of 23 with the TF-100. The cylinder is marked in 10s and we always round up so your CYA is 30.

Add stablizer in the sock and it will dissolve in time.

Right...on both counts. It is either 20 or if over that you read 30. No halfways, its linear. (or logarhythmic...I forget which one is the correct word?!)

And yeah... cold water will dissolve the CYA, its just gonna take longer. Buy hey, its cold out...no rush, right?

Maddie :flower:

No halfways, its linear. (or logarhythmic...I forget which one is the correct word?!)

CYA scale is logarithmic, not linear. Which means you cannot eyeball values between the lines. Halfway between the lines is not 5.

It’s logarhythmic, but thats across the entire range. I round up because I’d rather be a little under than a lot over. :)

[edit]I had thought I was rounding up because the extended test directions said so but there is nothing there about rounding.[end edit]

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.