Discolored fiberglass pool walls

PoconoJet

Jul 5, 2016
Blakeslee, PA
I have a 12,000 gallon fiberglass pool that had light blue finish when new. Now the pool is about 6 years old and the finish at waterline and below is whitish. In the past I had used metal off and even bought tester to check for iron and copper. The pool has been opened for about 2 months and initially I completed the slam process and now only use liquid bleach. Initially when I did the slam my cya was 0 so I raised to 30 but now is 0 again. Currently my free chlorine this am was 0.5, combined chlorine 0.5, alkalinity 80, calcium 160 and ph was between 7.8-8. Currently I know I need to raise the free chlorine but also need raise the cya. My question is about what to do to try and improve the staining.

AimeeH

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 2, 2012
Columbia SC
Honestly, that sounds more like fading than staining to me? Have you tried to contact the manufacturer?

rmturner54

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
Thats what i was gonna say☺, u beat me to it. Yoy do need to raise ur cya level and get some chlorine in the pool. If it were my pool, i would raise fc to 10and a modest cya level of 40 to 50, then go from there

PoconoJet

Jul 5, 2016
Blakeslee, PA
I will have to look into what warranty they have for fading for my pool. Today I did try some vitamin c tabs that I had from before and it did take some of the stain from my water ring / upper walls. In the past I would always use metal off by natural chemistry after using stain off also by natural chemistry and it would help but wall still had white coating / ? Fading. What is the best product to keep metal stains off pool walls?

Other Threads of Interest