Gold Supporter
Jun 29, 2021
South East Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Working on the pool opening this past weekend. Pulled off the cover and started to add water while working on the other pool opening chores. While installing the ladder, my wife asked me what is wrong with the liner. I turned around to see what she was talking about and see this huge tear in the liner. It happened while filling the pool. It was not there when I took the covers off. Full disclosure on the liner is that it is well past the time it should have been replaced. I had already contacted my pool store to have them come out this week and measure for a liner replacement in the fall so I was planning on the replacement before this happened. I cannot get the water level high enough to be able to use the water filter without going above the level of the tear. The tear is probably 12 inches from top to bottom. I am not sure if something like this can be patched or not. My question is that assuming that this is not something that can be patched for a temporary repair, what do I do about the water in the pool. I am thinking that I need to pump all water out of the pool and then put the safety cover back on until the new liner arrives. My plans to replace the liner in the fall has now changed into a matter of how quickly can I get this done. I expect at least a month or two before the replacement liner will be available. Looking for any help the forum can give on this. What a disaster! UGH!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 34
I would still look into a patch kit. You might be surprised and find one that can at least cover the majority of the tear (if not all of it) up to the coping seal so that you can run the pump/filter again. If you can't get any patch to work, drop a submersible pump in there just move water around and keep the FC elevated (for bugs) until you can get a crew out there. I would not drain completely. Worst case, if you decided to leave it alone, cover & chlorinate as best as you can to prevent a swampy mess.

When we had our AGP, the last two seasons, the cover was coming out of the top in one spot and I couldn't get it back in. I got some large pieces of liner samples from the pool store(they were free, too :oops: ) and used vinyl glue at the bottom of the sample patch, and overlapped at the top and we were able to use the pool.

I had trouble with getting a pool patch to stick to my old liner, but I used Flex Tape and it worked pretty well. Here's my thread on it:

Working on the pool opening this past weekend. Pulled off the cover and started to add water while working on the other pool opening chores. While installing the ladder, my wife asked me what is wrong with the liner. I turned around to see what she was talking about and see this huge tear in the liner. It happened while filling the pool. It was not there when I took the covers off. Full disclosure on the liner is that it is well past the time it should have been replaced. I had already contacted my pool store to have them come out this week and measure for a liner replacement in the fall so I was planning on the replacement before this happened. I cannot get the water level high enough to be able to use the water filter without going above the level of the tear. The tear is probably 12 inches from top to bottom. I am not sure if something like this can be patched or not. My question is that assuming that this is not something that can be patched for a temporary repair, what do I do about the water in the pool. I am thinking that I need to pump all water out of the pool and then put the safety cover back on until the new liner arrives. My plans to replace the liner in the fall has now changed into a matter of how quickly can I get this done. I expect at least a month or two before the replacement liner will be available. Looking for any help the forum can give on this. What a disaster! UGH!
So the update is that I went ahead with a patch and ordered a replacement liner. Probably could have put the patch on myself but ended up having the company that installed the pool and is replacing the liner put the patch on when he came over to take measurements for the replacement liner. It's going to be at least a month before the new liner gets installed. Went ahead and opened the pool this weekend and sure hope the patch holds up until then.

Next problem is that my Dolphin T55i robot stopped working. Tried many different things and no luck. I start the clean cycle and the robot goes backward about a foot, stops, reverses direction and goes forward a foot and stops. Eventually the power supply light changes from green to red. The warranty expired June 4. I am not impressed with this robot at all. Had a problem with it right after I got it that was resolved under warranty but I was without it for the three weeks it took to get fixed. It's a bit frustrating vacuuming manually when you have an expensive automatic down.

Attachments

• pool patch.jpg
    pool patch.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 18
For the robot - have you opened the cover and cleaned the impeller? Here's videos from similar models:

Here's one in case the motor isn't seated right (which can cause the behavior you saw):

Both are opening similar areas, so I'd recommend doing both and seeing if that takes care of the issue.

Reactions: vantiem5
For the robot - have you opened the cover and cleaned the impeller? Here's videos from similar models:

Here's one in case the motor isn't seated right (which can cause the behavior you saw):

Both are opening similar areas, so I'd recommend doing both and seeing if that takes care of the issue.
Thanks for the troubleshooting suggestions. I will definitely try this over the upcoming weekend and reply back with the results I find.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thanks for the troubleshooting suggestions. I will definitely try this over the upcoming weekend and reply back with the results I find.
Many thanks IceShadow. I found debris in the impellor that I removed and put the Robot back together. Since doing that I have ran three two-hour cycles to test the unit and it is working normally now. Thanks again!!

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.