Dirty pool

mikeetter88

Jun 3, 2021
Las Vegas
I've been having an issue this past year with dirt/staining in the pool, vacuuming won't bring it up, brushing doesn't bring it up. Some of it comes up when I rub my hand on it, but the stuff that's in the textured surface doesn't want to come out. It makes the pool look very dirty. Is there something I can add to the water to help break down whatever is in the surface? 2 years ago when I had a pool guy he acid washed it and the pool looked brand new again. My pool log is recent from a few minutes ago.20220717_093526.jpg20220717_093442.jpg

Mike, I think it's fair to say your signature is not accurate (fiberglass)? The APP also shows the same type pool. But there is only one water test listed, and while those numbers look quite good, it's hard to get a good picture of the water's history. It's surprising your CH is only 450 in Vegas. Did you do a water exchange earlier this year?

Wild stab in the dark, and your water chemistry over time as Texas Splash is digging into is paramount, but I’ve seen a similar type of that leopard spot looking discoloration when abalone shells were added to the plaster. Is it possible some type of organic matter or crushed abalone shell was part of your plaster? It can take a long time for it to start to break down and stain and once it starts, it‘s a problem.

Wild stab in the dark, and your water chemistry over time as Texas Splash is digging into is paramount, but I’ve seen a similar type of that leopard spot looking discoloration when abalone shells were added to the plaster. Is it possible some type of organic matter or crushed abalone shell was part of your plaster? It can take a long time for it to start to break down and stain and once it starts, it‘s a problem.
It's a fiberglass pool, I think it's just the textured surface.

Our water does have iron in it. Not a lot, but I get some iron staining on the white goods in my pool. This fiberglass looks to be white?

Try a handful of vitamin C tablets in a thin sock. Crush them up a bit. Set it on the stains.

Our water does have iron in it. Not a lot, but I get some iron staining on the white goods in my pool. This fiberglass looks to be white?

Try a handful of vitamin C tablets in a thin sock. Crush them up a bit. Set it on the stains.
I'll try that, I wanted to try to do the whole ascorbic acid treatment during the winter due to not needing as much chlorine, but never got around to it.

Mike, I think it's fair to say your signature is not accurate (fiberglass)? The APP also shows the same type pool. But there is only one water test listed, and while those numbers look quite good, it's hard to get a good picture of the water's history. It's surprising your CH is only 450 in Vegas. Did you do a water exchange earlier this year?
Yes its fiberglass, poolmath only let's me do 1 log at a time for the free app, but I keep a spreadsheet of the test results. The only thing I've been fighting besides the stains is my PH climbs like crazy and TA was as high at 225 at one point and managed to get it down to 80. I Did have to do a big water exchange about 6 months ago due to my CYA being off the charts due to the pool guy using tablets while my swg was down.

During water evaporation season (May to October) I add acid every 2 or 3 days. pH will be 7.6 and drop it to 7.3 or so. That will manage your TA at 80 or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.