Difficulty in deciding and would appreciate some guidance

Fuldo

Silver Supporter
Nov 23, 2017
Port Orange, FL
I've been contemplating converting my Florida pool to a SWG system for some time now. I just haven't been able to justify the expense with limited discretionary funds the last year or so. That changed recently when a very generous daughter and son-in-law offered to purchase the system as a Christmas gift. I now find myself in hyper search mode trying to take advantage of some great end-of-year pricing and discounts. That said, I've done considerable research and could use some advice.

I've been using primarily liquid chlorine and supplementing with pucks when the pool must go unattended for many days. I've run the numbers on maximum chlorine usage and found my maximum use (July-August) is about 40 ounces of 10% liquid per day. Minimum use in winter is about 1/3 of that. I believe the maximum use equates to about 0.23# Cl per day. I'm thinking that a SWG system with a capacity of about 1.5# (per 24 hour day) would maybe be best. I have a one speed pump and typically run it 8 hours per day in the warmest months so that would result in a capacity of 0.5# per eight hour period so I think that means I'd need to run the generator at about 45% capacity in the summer and that seems to match what most folks here suggest (2X+ capacity). Do my numbers seem correct and does this generator size seem optimum?

I'm looking for the best value in a reliable system. The pool often goes unmonitored for many days so reliability is paramount. Minimal maintenance is also important because I'm often away from home for long stretches and need to rely on my wife or relative for pool support.

I'm thinking that the CircuPool RJ-30 may be my best option. I calculated that my yearly chlorine use is about 57# of pure chlorine. This equates to operating the RJ-30 for 912 hours per year. At that rate it's expected cell life of 11,500 hours would yield 12+ years of service and I suspect the electronics probably wouldn't last nearly that long. I actually thought about going with a SJ-40 model but I don't like the fact it requires a higher salt concentration that the RJ models.

Another consideration is the possibility of internet connectivity and control. My daughter has such a SWG system but I envision considerable additional costs and little benefit. I haven't seen such a system that can accurately measure chlorine concentration and without that how much benefit is just knowing water temperature and having the ability to adjust chlorine output?

I apologize for the long post but it's a rather complicated matter. Any thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fuldo,

Your numbers look good to me. If I did not have an automation system, I would buy a CircuPool SWCG.. Not sure I would get the SJ version..

CircuPool documentation for the SJ, says that you need to keep your salt level too high for my liking.. 3500 ppm or higher. So for me the RJ is a better option.

That said, we have members here that say they ignore the 3500 salt requirement and run it at a lower levels with no problems.

I would not buy a SWCG if the whole goal is to just save a few bucks.. I suspect that the overall cost is about the same as Liquid chlorine. But I sure would buy it for the ease of use and less daily maintenance it requires.. For me anyway, it makes operating the pool easier and more enjoyable..

If I were to build 100 more pools, they would all be saltwater pools... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Fuldo,

I self-installed an RJ45. I did it going into my 4th swimming season (waited for $$ reasons). I think you'll be very happy with the CircuPool brand. I must confess that I can't compare it to any other since it's my first swcg. I do like that the housing is partially clear (I can see the chlorine being put into the water, looks like smoke/cloudy).

I got the RJ because my heater's digital display has gone blank a couple of times for a few days then came back on (heater works fine, just the display). I found out this is a glitch on the model year that has since been corrected but I figure if it does go out permanently, at least I can check my temp via the RJ unit. Once you get the level set (after 3-4 weeks I'd say) you won't really have a need to do anything at the unit itself. I'd always measure my chlorine with the proper test kit. So for me the RJ was the one b/c of the temp display, otherwise I would have probably got the SJ. I will say I can taste the salt. It doesn't bother me at all but it's noticeable to me and my wife (kids have no idea).

What a great gift. I remember buying my parents things they wouldn't have bought themselves. It was a good feeling to be able to give them something after doing so much for me. I bought my mom a pocketbook once that was a designer one and she loved it so much & treated it like gold :)

Good luck!

Hi Fuldo,

I self-installed an RJ45. I did it going into my 4th swimming season (waited for $$ reasons). I think you'll be very happy with the CircuPool brand. I must confess that I can't compare it to any other since it's my first swcg. I do like that the housing is partially clear (I can see the chlorine being put into the water, looks like smoke/cloudy).

I got the RJ because my heater's digital display has gone blank a couple of times for a few days then came back on (heater works fine, just the display). I found out this is a glitch on the model year that has since been corrected but I figure if it does go out permanently, at least I can check my temp via the RJ unit. Once you get the level set (after 3-4 weeks I'd say) you won't really have a need to do anything at the unit itself. I'd always measure my chlorine with the proper test kit. So for me the RJ was the one b/c of the temp display, otherwise I would have probably got the SJ. I will say I can taste the salt. It doesn't bother me at all but it's noticeable to me and my wife (kids have no idea).

What a great gift. I remember buying my parents things they wouldn't have bought themselves. It was a good feeling to be able to give them something after doing so much for me. I bought my mom a pocketbook once that was a designer one and she loved it so much & treated it like gold :)

Good luck!

Thanks for your report on the RJ45. I know what you mean about the salt taste. My daughter's pool runs with a salt level of about 3400, about the lowest they can go without the SWG showing low salt, and the salt taste is noticeable but not too distracting. I probably would have preferred a SJ model for the simplicity and perhaps better reliability but it requires a higher salt level and that nixed it for me. It will be interesting to see how often the SWG setting will need to be changed. It may be possible to keep it the same year-round and simply change the pump time as the seasons pass. I'm using only about 1/3 the amount of chlorine in the winter as the summer. I can probably run the pump for about 8 hours per day in the summer, maybe 6 hours per day in the spring and fall and maybe 3 hours or so in the winter while keeping the same SWG setting. Time will tell!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.