Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’m struggling a bit with the R-0014 PH comparator. I saw this one on Amazon that uses the R-0004 reagent instead of R-0014. Has anyone tried it?

I have a new plaster SWG pool so I’m struggling with quickly rising PH. I want to wait until it hits 8, then drop it to 7.6. My current comparator doesn’t have an 8 or a 7.6. This one has both. Thoughts?

I have both. I like the K1000 one with the R0014. I use 4 drops and a white background to read it.

But everyone's eyes are different.

I’m struggling a bit with the R-0014 PH comparator. I saw this one on Amazon that uses the R-0004 reagent instead of R-0014. Has anyone tried it?

I have a new plaster SWG pool so I’m struggling with quickly rising PH. I want to wait until it hits 8, then drop it to 7.6. My current comparator doesn’t have an 8 or a 7.6. This one has both. Thoughts?

Here is an old discussion Taylor R-0004 versus R-0014

Are you wanting a bigger test sample size?

Here is an old discussion Taylor R-0004 versus R-0014

Are you wanting a bigger test sample size?
I read that thread, it didn't seem to answer my question. Sample size doesn't matter, just ease of seeing 8 and 7.6. The one on Amazon has both of those values on it. I get up to 8 quickly. My current one has 7.8 and then 8.2. I struggle to see when it hits 8.0. I thought this other one would be easier.

I read that thread, it didn't seem to answer my question. Sample size doesn't matter, just ease of seeing 8 and 7.6. The one on Amazon has both of those values on it. I get up to 8 quickly. My current one has 7.8 and then 8.2. I struggle to see when it hits 8.0. I thought this other one would be easier.
Is this one similar to yours? I do see what you mean.
Image result for compare pool ph testers

I bought the 9056 and R-0004 for the exact reasons you state and use it almost exclusively for my pH measurements. Also bought R-0005 and use the acid demand test whenever I'm not quite confident in my reading. For me, 1 drop of R-0005 brings the reading down ~0.3.

The only time I use the smaller comparator with the R-0014 is if I'm concerned that the pH has gone above 8.0. Then the 8.2 is more handy.

Bonus: the 9056 can also be used for CYA testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I purchased the same (Taylor 9056 Chlorine and Bromine DPD Comparator Replacement for Taylor 2000 Series) and am struggling with whether I'm getting accurate Chlorine results. It just seems high?—but it is a new pool to me with my first SWG, so it’s just unusual.
I purchased
these larger reagents to give it a shot beyond the smaller test I originally received with the older Taylor K1001 kit.

I purchased the same (Taylor 9056 Chlorine and Bromine DPD Comparator Replacement for Taylor 2000 Series) and am struggling with whether I'm getting accurate Chlorine results. It just seems high?—but it is a new pool to me with my first SWG, so it’s just unusual.
I purchased
these larger reagents to give it a shot beyond the smaller test I originally received with the older Taylor K1001 kit.
I almost never use the 9056 for Chlorine testing. It's very difficult to differentiate pink from pinker and pinkest. :)

Much easier and more accurate to use the FAS-DPD powder kit (R-0870 + R-0871).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.