Differences in cyanuric acid test reagents? (Pentair R161596 vs Taylor R-0013)

kalW

Aug 15, 2014
Ottawa, ON, Canada
This one's a long shot but haven't seen it discussed:

Has anyone tried using Pentair R161596 regent instead of Taylor R-0013 in their CYA tests, specifically with the TF-100 test kit? I'm running low on Taylor R-0013 and the Pentair reagent is 1/6th the cost up in here Canada (due to the Taylor exclusivity agreements with Lowry & Associates). My gut says there's no guarantee that it reacts the same but without testing it I can't confirm. Anyone tried?

Thanks!

Kal

Never tried it. But I believe Pentair has their own tube and reagent. If it’s cheaper and easier to get, then just use the Pentair tester.

Good point Matt! Pentair does (or did) have a kit that comes with 8oz of CYA reagent plus the test tube, but can't seem to find it anywhere in Canada for under $70 ($60 more than just the reagent). *sigh*. I'll keep looking.

If anyone's actually used both the Pentair and Taylor CYA reagent I'd be curious to hear if they found any differences. (Maybe I'll just try it myself and report back).

EDIT: For $11 I figured it was worth trying out... We'll see when Amazon delivers this. I'll do a comparison between the two to see if there's any noticable differences.

Kal

Last edited:
I just came on here to ask the same question Kal. I'm in Ontario too and figured the Pentair brand is worth a shot for $11! Just ordered today but the pool season may be half over by the time Amazon gets it to us! Although I just discovered today that the Lowry & Associates headquarters are 15 minutes from my house so I may just drive on over and see if they'll sell me a bottle of the Taylor R-0013 too.

I just received mine but haven't tested yet for differences. It took 19 days from Amazon. I also ordered the kit with the tube and slider. The kit was $52 but looking now they jacked the price to $72. Has anyone ordered from Lowry & Associates? I emailed then last week about ordering reagents but haven't gotten a response.

I haven't tried Lowry, but in May 2019 I did get a quote from waterandice.ca located in Cambridge Ontario:

Taylor R-0009 alkalinity test (2oz) $12.40 CAD
Taylor R-0010 calcium hardness test (2oz) $15.40
Taylor R-0013 cyanuric acid reagent (16 oz) $28.00
Freight from Cambridge to Ottawa: $15

No idea how pricing is today. I never ended up ordering from them but have bought reagents once or twice from poolandhottubdepot.com (London Ontario) as being able to click and buy is decidedly simpler.

Kal

Last edited:
The pentair kit is nice to have for comparison. One drawback of the Pentair kit is the upper graduation goes from 60 to 100...nothing between. If you have a swg and are trying to dial in at 70 it's just a guess with the pentair. The pentair reagent is not compatible with Taylor/tf100 kits since the dilution ratio is different.

Newcomer here and I had the same question - Hootz are you sure it's a different dilution? The Blue Devil and Pentair kits seem to use the old Taylor 4088 cylinder. Instructions for it from the L-0206 kit reference using R-0013. Seems like they all use half sample/half reagent mix. Thanks!

I don't have scientific proof that the reagents are not compatible. There are conflicting opinions as to whether or not the reagents are incompatible. I take back my statement that the dilution ratio is different; it is an illusion on the blue devil tube that appears the reagent mix is more than the pool water, it is actually 50/50. Search "blue devil" on the forum for differing opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: paddyo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting. Well that pretty much proves that the Taylor and Pentair reagents are the same then I would think!

The Taylor 4088 cylinder is here: Cylinder, CYA w/ movable slide to measure CYA, plastic (for L-0206)
That product page say it's "for L-0206" which is their complete FAS-DPD kit: Laboratory, Counterlab Rx 2™ (complete), FAS-DPD
The FAS-DPD kit comes with R-0013 reagent. If R-0013 was different from the Pentair reagent, you wouldn't be able to use the same cylinder as the graduations would have to be different.

I have some more Taylor R-0013 on the way in small 2 oz vials but have now also ordered some of the Pentair stuff as well. In Canada I can get 8 oz of the Pentair for $10 from Amazon.ca while 2 oz of the Taylor is $16 from poolandhottubdepot.com. That's $2.50/oz vs $8/oz. Sheesh. (No slam at Pool & Hottub depot of course - their cost from the single Canadian distributor is going to be high and they have to pass that on to customers).

Thanks!

Kal

Last edited:
Reactions: paddyo and Hootz
I just got the Pentair R161596 from Amazon.ca
I used it instead of the R-0013 with my K2006 kit and got a reading of 35 ppm.
Then I re-did the same test with the original R-0013, and got pretty much the same reading.
Considering that the reading can be affected by lighting, I think it is good enough for me! The 8-oz bottle will last a long time, 7ml per test.

Last edited:
I just got the Pentair R161596 from Amazon.ca
I used it instead of the R-0013 with my K2006 kit and got a reading of 35 ppm.
Then I re-did the same test with the original R-0013, and got pretty much the same reading.
Considering that the reading can be affected by lighting, I think it is good enough for me! The 8-oz bottle will last a long time, 7ml per test.
Thanks for that! I currently only have the Pentair solution to use but got a CYA result that was very much in line with what I was expecting so I *hoped* it was accurate. Good to get a confirmation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.