Diff. between an inground and above ground pump?

Apr 21, 2010
I've had this pool for three and a half summers - it has flooded twice. I'm going to be working on the flooding issue (clogged drains, etc). but in the meantime I'd like to build a temporary pool-side filtering setup to use when needed in addition to my daily-use setup.

I rented a pump and de filter from my local pool store for the latest issue - it is super handy - basically a hayward pump wired to plug into a standard 110 outlet, an old EC65 DE filter and some cheap flexible tubing. I cable-tie the vaccuum end to an extension pole and I can adjust the placement of the intake and the return as needed. Makes for much faster pool cleaning in otherwise dire situations, obviously.

The pump and filter are fitted with PVC conversions to 1-1/2" nozzle connectors to which you clamp on the flexible tubing. Simple.

Anyway - I have my old cartridge filter available and I'm watching craigslist for a used pump and even another used filter. I'm thinking of putting this all on casters or something so it can be moved around quickly and having it all handy when needed. Here is my question.. In looking for a used pump - is there a difference between an "above ground" pump and an "in ground" pump for the purposes that I intend to use it?

(here is a picture of the rented setup)

Attachments

• tempfilter.jpg
    tempfilter.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 136
Typically the AG pump won't self prime and has a cord, where an IG pump will pull some air to prime and needs to be wired.

A self priming pump is what you want for this application. As long as the voltage is correct it can be fitted with a plug. Be sure to use the proper guage wire for the cord. 14 guage for up to 15 amps / 120 volt. 12 guage for up to 20 amp. Dont make the cord any longer than it needs to be, and dont try to use extension cords.That looks like the pump I have on my pool, new pump with strainer basket was like 240.00 last year.

Ok - found a guy selling model number C48K2N143 for $50. Says "it works" - that's all I know.

Can this model be wired correctly? It is identical to the one I just rented except the one I rented had a B1 at the end of the same model number.

Thats the electric motor for a 1.5 hp hayward superpump. Does it include the pump and strainer as well? New your looking at 309.00 so would be a good deal , depending on condition. Checking on the actual voltage/amp requirements now. What voltage do you have available?

Ok looks like the motor could be wired for 110 volt. Be aware most motors come from factory wired for 220, you need to check the pump before you wire it. There should be a wire diagram on the pump, but being used you never know what you will recieve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.