NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
New pool here and getting close to closing. Still waiting for safety cover to be delivered and we’ve had a couple of “warm” days so the kids were able to swim still for a bit. That being said I’ve been keeping my water chemistry in check but over the last 2-3 weeks my FC has gone up quite a bit. Probably because of less swimming and less sun (backyard has a lot of shade now from the angle of the sun this time of year). Water temp hovers mid 70s even with heater off.

Today’s test shows pH 7.8, FC 10.5, TA 90. I didn’t test CYA because I’m out of reagent and I figured it doesn’t matter because my FC is up quite a bit. For comparison 2 weeks ago FC was 5, then 7 last week. Should I dial back SWCG to allow FC to gradually drop or should I just aim to maintain it relatively higher knowing I’ll need to add shock anyway at closing and thereby need less shock?

Another first season pool owner here, I’ve done the same, I let my FC drift up to 10 because I get a lot of worms and leaves now that the temp is cooler

I've only had my IC40 since June 1. As a micro manager, I find I'm often adjusting either the run time or the percent. I try to keep the percent at 20 and adjust run time up or down. For example, my current schedule is 9:30am to 7:15pm AND 2:15am to 3:45am. Both of these are with the pump running at 1650rpm and starting 15 minutes before the SWCG comes on and running 15 minutes after the swcg shuts off. This is holding the FC at 6-6.5ppm (CC at 0). If FC drops, I bump the IC40 to 40% for a day. Honestly, I don't think I'm spending much less maintenance time with the swcg than I did with liquid chlorine--just different kind of work and not buying and storing chlorine.

I ended up decreasing output a little bit because there’s some warm weather expected this week so kids might be back in. I’ll check in another day or so just to see what effect my change had on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.