DFW... yes another one.

jugalo

Bronze Supporter
May 15, 2015
Highland Village, TX
I have lurked here for ages and learned a bunch. Now its our turn to build.

Our build will have MANY challenges and I have been on the fence for a decade because of these. About 10 years ago I got bids and they scared me off. But its now or never with 3 kids. Twin teens and a 10 year old, so here we go.

Challenge1: Large pecan tree we want to keep. You have to have shade in N. Texas otherwise its a bath. This seriously limits the size and positioning of a pool.
Challenge2: Electric reroute. I have an odd electrical provider(TNMP) Difficult and expensive to work with. And we are looking at $4000 minimum.
Challenge3: Sewer reroute. $6000 minimum and must be coordinated with the electric.
Challenge4: U shaped house with almost no windows on backside, so a lot of the yard is not viewable, Its just how they built in the 70's.

So I know what youre thinking, "Why dont you just move dummy?". My answer to that is we missed that time and in our area we are VERY priced out of the market without taking a huge hit on our lifestyle. We made a decision to make the old place the way we want it and hold on to it at least til the kids are gone.

So we are ten grand in before a hole is dug!!

Next... The bdding process

Well howdy, welcome out of lurkdom ;)

Let us know the details and everyone here will scope it out for any issues.... and don't forget we love us some pics! Can you post something showing the backyard now so we can picture what you describe above?

Maddie :flower:

So we had 5 gunite pool companys, and 1 iberglass come out to bid. The fiberglass couldnt give us any comfort at all when pressed for references, so that was a no go. Of the five that came out and measured, 3 never followed up and were very uncomfortable with the challenges especially trying to work around the tree. One gave us a full bid with 3d rendering but stopped replying to all communication, obviously didnt need our business. And their design was absolutely nothing close to what we spent 2 hours talking about. One was very receptive to our issues with the tree and power and sewer. He also put together the best drawing and 3d. He got creative with our weird space and although not the cheapest, his guys doi some of the best detail work I have seen.

We are going with the last bid. I will post pics soon.

We just closed on our loan and plan on signing this weekend possibly.

J,

Sorry, but DFW has reached its maximum allowable pool limit... Your application has been denied until someone else fills their pool in... :mrgreen:

OK, one more won't hurt I guess...

I know you love the tree, but it will be the biggest pain in the world if any where near the pool.. It really makes sense to take it out and have a larger pool than taking it out after the pool is built..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
J,

Sorry, but DFW has reached its maximum allowable pool limit... Your application has been denied until someone else fills their pool in... :mrgreen:

OK, one more won't hurt I guess...

I know you love the tree, but it will be the biggest pain in the world if any where near the pool.. It really makes sense to take it out and have a larger pool than taking it out after the pool is built..

Thanks,

Jim R.

No Kidding, no wonder they can charge so much and blow off folks...

Yeah, I do know the concerns... I have had a pool under mature trees before and it wasnt that bad, thetemperature difference is worth it to us. AND if it doesnt make it its not a huge deal. My builder is using an arborist to assist.

Thanks Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you post some pics of the site? Good that you are working with an arborist.. the trees root structure is going to come into play for the tree and the pool if you have the pool that close. I'm trying to squint and guess how far from the tree it would be and how big the tree really is from the renderings.

Can you post some pics of the site? Good that you are working with an arborist.. the trees root structure is going to come into play for the tree and the pool if you have the pool that close. I'm trying to squint and guess how far from the tree it would be and how big the tree really is from the renderings.
I will as soon as I can. But I trust my builder.

This looks familiar :) He is great to work with. Very hands on.

I would ask him about:
- Removing the Nature 2
- Upgrading from Easytouch to Intellicenter
- Upgrade to a Robot (Pentair Prowler 930 comes to mind) from the current polaris style cleaner
- 1 pallet of sod seems pretty low. Do you not have much yard that will be torn up?
- I would recommend salt, but thats just a personal preference

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
I love trees and removing them unnecessarily is very painful and sad, but I recommend removal. You can always build shade from some sort of awning or even just sail shades, but the roots of the tree are going to give you headaches down the road, not to mention that the leaves and pecans will fall and make a huge mess in the pool. If it's just shade you're after you have far better options than the tree.

Reactions: Texgirl
J,

You asked.. so here are my thoughts..

I would not install a PSL4 EasyTouch in my worst enemy's pool.. It is a cheap imitation of a real EasyTouch.. The "L" means lite as in it has no flavor or taste.. :) It has no load center for all your circuit breakers, it only has a maximum of 4 schedules or programs and only 1 or 2 Feature circuits..

I have a real EasyTouch with ScreenLogic and love it. That said, it is now old technology and if I were to build a new pool today, I would go with the new Pentair IntelliCenter.. The ET will work, but the IC is much better.. The price between a real ET with ScreenLogic and the new IC with built in remote control is about the same.

No matter what automation you pick, get one that has the built in SWCG power supply. It comes as a package with the automation, the valve actuators, and the salt cell..

I would not get the Nature 2 as it is a mineral system.. I recommend a saltwater pool with a SWCG.. I have three pools (two of them at rent houses) and can tell you that the only reason that I can maintain all three pools is because they are saltwater pools..

I also use robot cleaners in my pools.. Having water powered cleaners (Suction or Pressure side cleaners) is kind of like using an old black rotary-dial phone instead of a cell phone, technology wise.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mguzzy
This looks familiar :) He is great to work with. Very hands on.

I would ask him about:
- Removing the Nature 2
- Upgrading from Easytouch to Intellicenter
- Upgrade to a Robot (Pentair Prowler 930 comes to mind) from the current polaris style cleaner
- 1 pallet of sod seems pretty low. Do you not have much yard that will be torn up?
- I would recommend salt, but thats just a personal preference
Thanks. I watched yours and what a nice build! Ok i will consider all of that, I also had a polaris before and hate that, robot is the only way to go. I just wish I knew what Im gonna have to do to have one gifted to me. As far as sod, I dont want ANY grass in my backyard anymore. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
J,

You asked.. so here are my thoughts..

I would not install a PSL4 EasyTouch in my worst enemy's pool.. It is a cheap imitation of a real EasyTouch.. The "L" means lite as in it has no flavor or taste.. :) It has no load center for all your circuit breakers, it only has a maximum of 4 schedules or programs and only 1 or 2 Feature circuits..

I have a real EasyTouch with ScreenLogic and love it. That said, it is now old technology and if I were to build a new pool today, I would go with the new Pentair IntelliCenter.. The ET will work, but the IC is much better.. The price between a real ET with ScreenLogic and the new IC with built in remote control is about the same.

No matter what automation you pick, get one that has the built in SWCG power supply. It comes as a package with the automation, the valve actuators, and the salt cell..

I would not get the Nature 2 as it is a mineral system.. I recommend a saltwater pool with a SWCG.. I have three pools (two of them at rent houses) and can tell you that the only reason that I can maintain all three pools is because they are saltwater pools..

I also use robot cleaners in my pools.. Having water powered cleaners (Suction or Pressure side cleaners) is kind of like using an old black rotary-dial phone instead of a cell phone, technology wise.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim, All good advice... and yes I DID ask for it.(y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.