Silver Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello again. I am at my wits end. I’ll try to be brief this time. First summer to have the pool. IG vinyl 16x36, sand filter, eco star pump. I’ve been following the TFP method religiously all summer and my water is always somewhat cloudy. Daylight makes it seem “less cloudy” but turning on lights at night shows it bad. I’ve tested, Slammed, brushed, vacuumed, tested, Slammed, brushed, vacuumed myself into exhaustion. Slamming did not correct cloudiness either time. I added hours and RPMs to the pump run time. Backwash regularly. Test results stay pretty steady unless we get a ton of rain or something odd and are quickly fixed with Pool Maths advice. FC stays between 3-6 usually. CC stays between 0 and negligible. CYA stays around 65-70. TA stays at 70 most of the time. pH will swing from 7.2 to 7.6. I used store bleach until it became hard to find and they started limiting quantities, then moved to Pool Essentials and HDX chlorinating liquid which at 10% is a better bargain anyway. I’ve used shock a few times earlier in the summer when my CYA was lower and I wasn’t worried about adding some extra. Other than that it’s Muriatic Acid and very rarely Baking Soda. That’s it.

Currently
FC 5
CC 0
pH 7.3
TA 70
CYA 70

This has been the average all summer and my water is clear but cloudy.

The concrete guy finished the deck in June. During that process, we ended up with a ton of dust, concrete, patch material from fixing parts of the cantilevered coping, some mortar that had to be sanded and no telling what else in the pool. I really thought that vacuuming like crazy, and running the filter would clear it out, but I feel like the reason for the cloudiness is not chemical. Before I throw my hands in the air and head to the pool store, I thought I would check with y’all. I know that Clarifiers and Flocculant are a no-no, but I feel like a Clarifier might be where I’m headed. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I want (and quite frankly, I deserve) clear water sometime this summer for as much work as I’ve put in! Also, the waterline accumulates a dusty film of some kind that I’m constantly scrubbing off. It shows in the picture of the deep end. I’d also love suggestions on something to help keep that clean.

Good news for Dolphin is that I’ve pretty much worn out my shoulder and back using the manual vacuum and brushing, so I’m putting one of those in my Birthday list for next week.

Any advice y’all have is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 77E7EFE3-812E-4A95-8F39-B05DC58ACB4F.jpeg
    77E7EFE3-812E-4A95-8F39-B05DC58ACB4F.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 5BC6B036-74AA-4F14-A358-7CEF91A22312.jpeg
    5BC6B036-74AA-4F14-A358-7CEF91A22312.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 26
Cloudy water can be frustrating. Unfortunately for us, we have no real idea what your water chemistry was in the past or during those SLAMs. Either you are not using our PoolMath APP, or have not yet selected to share it on your profile. The best advice we could give you right now is to implement the SLAM Process and continue it until you pass all 3 criteria on that page. That is key. Don't bother with the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test part until the water is crystal clear. Until that time, maintain the SLAM FC level of "28" for your pool which is based on your CYA of 70 - see FC/CYA Levels. Good luck!

Cloudy water can be frustrating. Unfortunately for us, we have no real idea what your water chemistry was in the past or during those SLAMs. Either you are not using our PoolMath APP, or have not yet selected to share it on your profile. The best advice we could give you right now is to implement the SLAM Process and continue it until you pass all 3 criteria on that page. That is key. Don't bother with the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test part until the water is crystal clear. Until that time, maintain the SLAM FC level of "28" for your pool which is based on your CYA of 70 - see FC/CYA Levels. Good luck!

I have been using the Pool Math App exclusively and only did the other two Slams at the suggestion of an expert on here to try to help solve my cloudiness issue. Not because I “needed” to Slam. I use a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I have been home nonstop since March so my levels have not gotten off much more than the numbers I listed above. I feel like I completely wasted the chemicals, time and energy doing the last two Slams because they did not solve my issue at all. I’m spinning my wheels with good numbers and constantly cloudy water. 😩

If you are insistent in using a clarifier, use a quality one. Get SeaKlear Chitosan. You most likely need to order it via Amazon.
Be aware, if you use it and you should have SLAM, you will have a mess.

Reactions: Hojo76
I’m spinning my wheels with good numbers and constantly cloudy water. 😩
No, your numbers are not good, which is why you have cloudy water. For your CYA of 70, you need to be keeping FC 8-10 on a regular basis. You just posted that your FC is 5, which is the absolute bare minimum that you never want to go below. Earlier you posted you usually keep FC 3-6 for some reason. Too low of FC leads to algae, which leads to cloudy water.

For your SLAM, you have to keep it at 28 by testing and adding chlorine 3-4 times a day and that will be for 3+ days until you pass all 3 criteria to end.

Reactions: Hojo76
Gotcha. I did post one thing wrong, but I will still start the Slam. My CYA had been 30-40 most of the summer and only recently went up when my kid added shock after a get together with a bunch of teenage boys. 🤦🏻‍♀️ So I wasn’t used to having the higher test result for FC just yet and was remembering the range before it went up. I have been using the Pool Math App all along and always add what it tells me to. I will start the Slam again.

Also, I noticed when setting up my pool in PoolMath, I entered in the total gallons in the pool from the spec sheet we got from Pool Warehouse which said 21576 gallons. But when I do the math in a pool gallon calculator, it says it’s more like 23800 with my steps included. So I imagine if that calculator is right, I have been putting in about 10% less of everything that needed to be added. I guess it’s possible that I was adding what it said and testing right, but needed it calculating for a bigger pool???? Over time, maybe that would make a difference?? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully all this will result in a clear pool soon! 🤞

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.