Design/Plan/DIY Build NorCal pool

I am almost set on the following equipment:
  • Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump EC-011028
  • Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, 520 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
  • Pentair IntelliChlor Chlorine Generator IC60 Cell (to 60,000 gallons)
The pool is supposed to be 23096 gallons according to the drawings. I read on this site that the filter should be 200sq ft for every 10000gal; the one I selected has 225 which is slightly better than that.
Salt generator should be rated double the size and even here I am slightly better than that.
I am really confused about the automation. The pump above seem to have all the settings, timers etc. I have read that there are people that run it 24h at a slower speed for little energy consumption. In that case, what would be the advantage of an automation system?

Also, the salt generator has an option for a transformer/rectifier that costs north of $350 (Pentair IntelliChlor Chlorine Generator PC100 Power Center). As you can see above I am considering equipment that to me looks like higher end, pretty much top of the line for everything (correct me if I'm wrong here). But for the life of me I cannot justify an old school, little 200W transformer that costs almost 400 bucks. For a fifth of the price I could get a very high end, US-wound toroidal transformer and rectifier with much better specs that those listed there. Am I missing something? :unsure::unsure:

Today we officially started construction! We will try to do a lot of stuff by ourselves, taking it real easy, especially in the following 12 weeks while we wait for delivery of the kit.

This is the selected location for the pool equipment pad. We need to move that mulch down to a different area (and in the process I trimmed a nearby tree).
ZMZ0-tevw-8rq-GeunW3jXFqLCR5lPab8i3b8EswbXbd0i98LKtznbcWxyaFJ_FU5mtD5fJClz5eOljQLfeibAEEjpO923qF2ous2E3LaLgyV_yjZA8cf158UrAy5ZRF17CGYFPMmR0=w2400

We cleaned up much more than this but the other parts are not strictly relevant for the pool. Still long ways to go as I need to remove all the organic material before I can put in a gravel substrate for the concrete pour. Once the equipment is installed, I plan to build a lightweight structure to protect it from direct sun and rain.
FHaJu1bxZXrgAe1jN4RisBRgd9SBUf42w9gYukZ_A8FFAPCeMAaIA642HXRX4vo4K3p0ksPUJcBd-kWWJ8P6IHx3Ok1jz6R8z70rT3I0kv1FcvkUD7WlF71sCd3Jrsd8z_8ZUkVs0Mk=w2400

Thanks @jimmythegreek . Wider pics are available on one of my old posts (mind the lower left corner where I indicate the pool equipment location):

On post Design/Plan/DIY Build NorCal pool I was asking about special considerations for the equipment installed slightly below the pool surface. Is this problematic?

I was asking as it will require de constriction of part of the wall to run plumbing to it. I do alot of retaining wall work with my installs. Theres alot to consider when introducing a surcharge above an existing wall. Be sure that any layout plans/designs by the engineer include a site visit to review your existing walls.

I was asking as it will require de constriction of part of the wall to run plumbing to it. I do alot of retaining wall work with my installs. Theres alot to consider when introducing a surcharge above an existing wall. Be sure that any layout plans/designs by the engineer include a site visit to review your existing walls.
Ohh I see what you mean. I will not have to touch the retaining wall at all, difficult to explain with words but I'll send a pic tomorrow. Yeah, my structural engineer (the good one) was onsite and we explicitly discussed where pipes will run, took measurements of the retaining wall etc thanks for the concern!!!

Work has been a little slow but we have mostly cleared the area and "fixed" the irrigation system for the trees. A licensed electrician checked my plan for the subpanel and gave me thumbs up.
This is the view from the equipment pad location @jimmythegreek : those concrete "steps" will be removed and plumbing will come out from that side.
scalette01.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure to save the pics just in case you missed a bent or messed up piece.
Of course. Obviously I have not been able to try anything but so far so good.

I'm the meantime we resumed prep work for the equipment pad pour... We will need few more hours. The location requires us to work completely by hand. I need to remove about 4-8" of soil, but we found that it's oddly relaxing after a week of office work. We are about half way done.

20210409_182254.jpg

Well she makes everything take longer, she gets into potentially mildly dangerous situations, she most definitely does not make use of proper PPE, but I hope long term she develops a mind set of good work ethics. Surely digging by hand is miserable and tedious... so much respect for the professionals that do that every day.

Oh, and we realized we are missing two huge boxes with the cover drum and some other extrusions. Hopefully... they will find them. Not in a rush for now, most of this stuff will be needed pretty late in the game.

Reactions: Snoobug
Even if it does take longer it will pay off in the end it will so SO worth it..............the wanting to get it done faster is what keeps a lot of adults from allowing the little ones from doing the work thus instilling in them to let others do stuff for them.

I am glad you realized there were missing boxes now. Wonder where they wandered off to???

I received the bracket needed to mount the Fastlane (that is supposed to be delivered fully in July 2021).
bracketfastlane01.jpg

This phase of the build is an exercise in patience, the various components come in at a glacial pace, however I am pretty sure at some point there is going to be a huge rush to get things done. So far, one of the things I still need to plan is how to get rid of the excavation dirt material. The local landfill wants a pretty expensive (~400 bucks) soil analysis before they can accept loads of dirt, and then it's relatively cheap like 100 bucks for a whole truckload. Do contractors really perform soil analysis and wait potentially weeks for it before they can dump out excavated dirt? It's a mystery to me.

Oh I did some math and it is much more dirt that I originally thought :D something like 113 cubic yards when compacted. I'll need large equipment, I'll be calling around on Monday. Can anybody recommend a dirt hauling company for the Bay Area...?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.