design phase of Houston OB

schwimmen

Bronze Supporter
Jan 30, 2017
Houston TX
Greetings, all.

This weekend I signed up for a Pool Studio account, which means we are officially one step closer to making this pool thing happen.

My husband and I initially planned to go the easy route and have a fiberglass model installed, but we haven't had any luck finding a smaller model with the features that we want. Plan B was to hire a pool builder to do a gunite pool. However, a limited number seem willing to build within the city limits of Houston, and those that do seem to charge a premium. We haven't totally abandoned Plan B, but I decided that regardless of whether we find a PB or GC the project ourselves, getting the design set is key. So I'm attaching two designs and would appreciate any feedback.

The 'daytime pics' are from the back lot line looking towards the house, and the 'night pics' are taken from the back of the house. There will be a fence next to the planter along the west side of the pool, but I took it out so it's easier to see.

Must haves:
Needs to be less than 13' wide and 30' long
Level shallow end with 4' water depth for water exercise
Deep end with 6'+ water depth for pool running
Area for planting beds along house and fence
Patio area for sitting, grilling
Shelf area
Spare tree in back corner

Prefer to have:
Spa

Wishlist:
Current generator for swimming and kayaking

2.jpg3.jpg

5.jpg6.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 290
If only it could happen that fast! Love the design! Can see where the fiberglass pools would not fit your needs.

I am going to reach out to a member who also lives "inside the loop" as I think it is called. She also had a hard time finding someone to build her pool but did find one and loves it!

I would love to see a shot of the real yard as it looks now so I can really see what you are working with.

Kim:kim:

Hi Schwim! I know your frustration! My pool was built 2 years ago, so things may have changed, but I can send you who we found that would build inside the loop. Where in the city are you? We are near the Med Center.

Nice design! Thanks Kim!

Hi Schwim! I know your frustration! My pool was built 2 years ago, so things may have changed, but I can send you who we found that would build inside the loop. Where in the city are you? We are near the Med Center.

Nice design! Thanks Kim!

My pool builder has built inside the loop. I know he did some work in the Heights. I can send it to you if you are interested.

Do you hear that??? That is the sound of the Calvary showing up!! LOVE IT!

Thanks Marla and Shingles! :hug:

Nice place for a pool. Looks like you will be using all the room you have to the max. NICE!

Now lets talk about those trees----------see those leave? They will all be IN your pool and you will have to get them out. I know it is on your must have list but........you may end up regretting that after your first leaf fall.

Make sure to let us know how it goes with the PB info you got from these wonderful people!

Yes, I see strong potential for a love/hate relationship with that tree. I'm willing to take the two smaller ones along the fence down, but between the brutally hot summer sun and the proximity of neighbors and wires, I think I'll need to make peace with the leaves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm going to toss this out- I would lose the spa (in hot, humid Houston I just can't imagine sitting in it especially since it isn't like a hot tub with it's massaging jets, etc)
and make it more of a L shape so that the L portion is your shelf area and the long section your swimming area...all 30 feet of swim area.

You can then put your patio features inside the L near the house instead of at the end of the pool. Does that make sense?

Maddie :flower:

Kim: Yes, all of the fencing would be replaced.

Keith: Kayak-wise, I'm still not certain if it would work. There's not a whole lot of info out there on pool kayaking logistics - mostly courses in community pools, and the instructors I've reached out to don't have experience with current generators. Even the current generator companies have limited info. I'm interested in paddling with a current more than turning or rolling. I tried whitewater kayaking once. Didn't go so well ;) I can go down to the bayou, but sometimes a snake-alligator-and-boat-hauling-free option is nice.

Maddie: Thanks for the suggestions. Initially, we weren't looking at a spa, but the kids actually spend a ton of time in the neighbor's spa. I think we'd probably get use out of a heated option in fall and winter and would be happy with jets the rest of the year. Shape-wise, I think I understand what you're describing. I played with that idea early on when I was just sketching. I can give it a shot in the design program, though I think it might result in a thinner pool that we'd like.

We've made some modifications to our designs options, and I would greatly appreciate feedback on them - what works, what doesn't, things to consider, etc. There's an overhead shot and a shot from the back fence for each of the two. Thank you!!
full lot 1.jpgfull lot 2.jpg
near house 1.jpgnear house 2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.