Design decisions Questions

Mar 30, 2017
Frisco
Hi everyone,

Could anyone share their thoughts on the design we are leaning towards? Should we push the spa to the far other end, near the big tree? Right now spa is supposed to compensate for a water feature from outdoor kitchen and also from living room window. We are thinking that having spa, close to the kitchen (means not at the far end would be better in serving drinks/quiter chit-chat). However, the spa side is also shallower end (3 feet) so, we also need to accomodate ledge and steps in the same area. Now, if we move ledge and steps to the other side of the spa then we don't get a full swim lane from one end to another. And, if we push the ledge and steps to the other end then, then to enter the pool, one has to walk around spa. OMG this is tough. Can anyone suggest something?

I'm including the diagram, which is the current final design and the second picture shows the outdoor kitchen placement (but this pic is without spa)View attachment 59128View attachment 59129

Welcome to TFP! I'm not great at diagrams.... the spa as it is now, is at the kitchen end and across the pool, right? I'm still confused... It looks to me you have a swim lane as the diagram is now. But now you have to walk around the spa to use the steps. I agree it will be more convenient to have the spa at the kitchen end.

I think what I would do is switch the spa and ledge using the same space being used now. That keeps your swim lane open, and the sun shelf (ledge) would be closer to the patio/kitchen area making the steps more convenient. The steps would then wrap in the opposite direction still hugging the spa. I have a similar set up with my pool and love it. I can't post a picture right now, but you can use the link in my signature to see my build thread. The beginning of my steps start outside behind the curve of the pool giving me room for more steps without losing swim and play area in the pool. Look for pictures around page 40 or earlier in my thread.

My apologies if I've completely misunderstood the diagram and your question.

Now my question.... with you wanting a swim lane, won't 3' be too shallow for the shallow end? My boys (now grown) are both swimmers and insisted on a 4' depth for the shallow end. Then again our family is relatively tall making that depth work better for us.

I really like your design! Having a pool is sooo much fun!

Suz

Thanks Suze. Yes, in the diagram SPA is at the kitchen end but we cannot switch the spa and lege+step because we need to be 5 feet away from retaining wall in the back. The straight line touching spa boundary is the 5 feet line. And if we bring ledge+step to the other side of the spa then we get a narrow area left at that end.

For 3' shallow end, i would ask my PB what he suggests. I think its great idea to go for either 3.5 or 4 feet. I'll confirm with my PB.
Welcome to TFP! I'm not great at diagrams.... the spa as it is now, is at the kitchen end and across the pool, right? I'm still confused... It looks to me you have a swim lane as the diagram is now. But now you have to walk around the spa to use the steps. I agree it will be more convenient to have the spa at the kitchen end.

I think what I would do is switch the spa and ledge using the same space being used now. That keeps your swim lane open, and the sun shelf (ledge) would be closer to the patio/kitchen area making the steps more convenient. The steps would then wrap in the opposite direction still hugging the spa. I have a similar set up with my pool and love it. I can't post a picture right now, but you can use the link in my signature to see my build thread. The beginning of my steps start outside behind the curve of the pool giving me room for more steps without losing swim and play area in the pool. Look for pictures around page 40 or earlier in my thread.

My apologies if I've completely misunderstood the diagram and your question.

Now my question.... with you wanting a swim lane, won't 3' be too shallow for the shallow end? My boys (now grown) are both swimmers and insisted on a 4' depth for the shallow end. Then again our family is relatively tall making that depth work better for us.

I really like your design! Having a pool is sooo much fun!

Suz

Hi! Pretty design! I was thinking the same thing as Suz..Leave the spa where it is or move it closer to the fence a little and place your ledge/steps in the radius closest to the kitchen. Or if that doesn't work, you could place the ledge /steps along the side by the seating area/patio and bump out that inner curve a bit and preserve your swim length.
+1 on increasing your depth to 3 1/2 -4' instead of 3 ft. I'm short and would not want mine any shallower than the 4ft our pool averages.

Ok, thanks. I didn't understand about the 5' open space required. I printed the diagram and played with some different options. I still think there's space to switch the spa and shelf by pushing the spa to that boundary line touching the table between the chairs. You'd lose some deck area there but gain some where the spa was. But.... I didn't like the angles created between spa and shelf.

Another possibility. Slide the shelf and spa as they are connected in the current diagram to the left making sure the spa rolls along and not past the 5' boundary line boundary line. The left edge of the shelf would be at the left edge of the left chair. Then have the entry steps hug the spa - the side closest to the house. So walking from the kitchen, you'd have steps, spa, and shelf. Personally, I'd rather the shelf be closer to the house.

My last thought - leave the spa and move the ledge and steps straight across the pool along the 16' 8" line. That puts the steps and shelf very handy to the back patio which I would like (steps on the kitchen side of the shelf). That keeps the swim lane open. I like this idea the best so far.

I wish I had that perfect solution!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.