Deleted post to a thread from last year

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
I had two posts deleted today. Message was because I posted to a very old thread. The two threads I posted to were started in 2019 and 2020. That definitely isn't "very old". What are the guidelines? Whats the thinking of not letting people post to threads less then a year or two years old?

Thanks

Last edited:
Kev,

The whole point is that when someone starts a thread, they are looking for answers.. We want everything in that thread to be related to, or an answer for, the original tread owner.

Generally, the posts that get deleted, or never published, are the ones that are saying things like.. "I have the same issue, did you ever find an answer??"

We find that you will get a more answers, and better answers, if you just start a new thread of your own..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Guess that sort of makes sense. Some forums are the opposite, they want you to try to share your questions or insights on a similar thread, no matter the age. Personally I think its beneficial to reply to a thread, as long as the reply is relevant. But not my forum.

Thanks Jim.

Kev,

The whole point is that when someone starts a thread, they are looking for answers.. We want everything in that thread to be related to, or an answer for, the original tread owner.

Generally, the posts that get deleted, or never published, are the ones that are saying things like.. "I have the same issue, did you ever find an answer??"

We find that you will get a more answers, and better answers, if you just start a new thread of your own..

Thanks,

Jim R.
@kevreh I was just about to do this (asking "hey whatever happened..." on an old thread), just to try and save a little work for all the experts that get lots of similar questions. I think it is nice that everyone is willing to answer fairly similar inquiries over and over just to make sure they are the best for the individual scenario. I think I saw somewhere that direct messaging the person with a similar situation might be the best way to actually get attention and an answer to "I have the same issue, how did it work out..." when the thread is older. Also, @Jimrahbe can we start a new thread and mention the old thread as related background?

@kevreh I was just about to do this (asking "hey whatever happened..." on an old thread), just to try and save a little work for all the experts that get lots of similar questions. I think it is nice that everyone is willing to answer fairly similar inquiries over and over just to make sure they are the best for the individual scenario. I think I saw somewhere that direct messaging the person with a similar situation might be the best way to actually get attention and an answer to "I have the same issue, how did it work out..." when the thread is older. Also, @Jimrahbe can we start a new thread and mention the old thread as related background?

Now see you should have started a new thread on this....... :eek:

While direct messaging someone may get an answer and you don't have to worry about your post being removed, I think its safe to say its not best for the community since everyone else doesn't get that follow up info.

Reactions: geempool
When you start a new thread you can link to the thread you want to reference in your post.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ok. Thanks for mentioning that.

Is this practice by moderators open for discussion? Has it been discussed before? I enjoy this forum, just find it...”abrasive”....for mods to delete postings from as recent as less than a year ago.

I see both sides of it and I'm usually torn on how I feel about it. One one hand, many older posts have members or previously held ideas that are long gone. TFP has evolved with the times and there is plenty out there that just isn't relevant anymore. There has to be a cutoff. Heck, the big Texas freeze was less than 90 days ago and it seems like it's been years.

On the other hand, I do like the continuity when one topic flows smoothly with new relevant info.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, they say. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Kev,

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I can see your side of the story... But, when I come over to your house to play, I should be expected to follow your rules.. And when you come over to my house to play, you should follow my rules. And, when we visit this site, we both need to follow their rules..

In most cases we try to use some common sense.. If you post a fix to an old thread, then most likely it would be allowed.. If you just want to ask the original poster a question, just send them a PM. If the new post is looking for more answers to the same problem, it is almost always better to just start a new thread.

In most cases, if a new post can stand on its own, we just move it to a new thread, with a link to the old thread. If it can't stand on its own, which generally means it is a very short post, it just gets deleted.

And.. as the dude point out, it is impossible to make everyone, happy, no matter what we do. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One thing that TFP tends to do differently than many other sites is offer personalized support. If I’m asking how to change a coil pack on my Town and Country most other forums won’t ask what size tires I’m running as it doesn’t matter. So often elsewhere advice can be given to cover all users, but on TFP it’s a bit different. If I’m a user with an algae problem those helping me will ask about my pools surface, equipment, and chemistry. They do this as all these items come into play when correcting a problem. When you start getting two or three pools being discussed in a single thread it becomes all but impossible to keep track of who’s pool is who’s……thus the main reason we ask users to make separate threads.

Now sometimes users items can somewhat fall into some grey areas, and Mods tend to use some judgement in these posts as well. This especially occurs when talking about equipment. If my memory serves me correct @kevreh this is what the deleted posts of yours discussed. I personally in these instances tend to suggest starting a new thread in order to avoid confusion, however I may leave things stand depending on the topic and the circumstance.

In the end TFP is looking to help it’s members. We’re wanting to get a clear picture of your problem and your current circumstance. One of the best ways to do this we’ve found is to start new threads even if you may think your issue is exactly the same. All to often theres info that maybe needed to correct your problem, and it’s best to just start off on the right foot as opposed to having to correct it down the line. I’ll totally agree that’s not how many other forums do it on the internet, and I understand their mindset, but hopefully this post gives you some background into the mindset of why TFP asks for separate threads.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your detailed thoughts and insights. This is a top quality forum and the mods do a great job maintaining it. Keeping the above points in mind will hopefully prevent any future frustration on my part before I post to a thread.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Also, let’s not forget the human element that by nature is flawed. The people running the show are trying their best but on any given day they may feel a certain way about a post.

One time I asked an OP a direct question about their setup to help further their answers. As my ‘own question’ it was moved to my own thread where OP would probably never see it. But that day a Mod took it as my personal question and not how it really was.

They meant no harm by it and were only trying their best to help both of us. You can’t take it personal.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
I feel ya, OP. This forum bucks some of the well established norms and has a bit of a weird feel to it - but as Jim alluded to it's their house, their rules. There's nothing inherently wrong at all, don't want to give that impression. Just different.

The wealth of info available, and the willingness of people to help are in line with some of the better communities I've been a part of over the decades though. Tough to argue against a different model if it also works.

Yep, its a great forum. I like to think of it as my happy place for learning about my pool and others. There is a larger philosophical question of what the role of members should be in driving policies like this. I get the "its our house" perspective, but in some ways its also a co-op (to use another analogy) since its not owned by any single entity but instead gets financial support from members. Which reminds me, I should donate to become a Supporter.

With 250k signed up members, you'd be hard pressed to get any great consensus IMO.
Your financial support is MUCH APPRECIATED, and the use of your money helps keep the website online and advertisement free. Thanks :)

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: kevreh
I get the "its our house" perspective, but in some ways its also a co-op (to use another analogy) since its not owned by any single entity but instead gets financial support from members.
Actually, it is owned by a single entity - TFP is a Non-Profit Corporation under the laws of North Carolina. It is not a co-op in any stretch of the imagination.

TFP is run by a group of officers. It is a single entity. While input from members of the forum is always welcome, that does not mean that they have any "ownership" in the corporation. A donation is just that, a donation to a Non-Profit.

I give money to the Red Cross, another Non-Profit Corporation, but I don't get to tell them how to set policy on their educational programs. Their board sets those just like TFP sets their own educational programs and goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.