Deep cleaning cartridge filter

poolnoobgrandma

Gold Supporter
Sep 15, 2018
Seminole, FL
We've been cleaning our filter frequently since pollen season, including one soak in some water with TSP. Whatever gunk is in there just isn't coming out. We put in a new filter and the flow and pressure improved dramatically. Our old filter is just over a year old, and doesn't look damaged.
Rather than toss it, now that we have plenty of time, is there a way to really deep clean it? It would be nice to have a spare so that we can take additional time to deep clean when necessary. I see that there are "potions" for deep cleaning, but this is the place I get my advice on such things. :)

Awilli8203

Sep 7, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have had good success with the filter cleaning tools that attach to a hose. These are sold at the online pool stores and spray several small streams of water deep inside the folds of the filter. I usually don’t need to use any cleaning chemicals or soaking. The filters change from dirty grey to white using this. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Shirker

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
Do another TSP bath and after it do a 50:1 MA bath for 24 hours. I used one of those big green landscaper buckets for mine. The tops stuck out a couple of inches so I would flip them upside down 12 hours in. The came out pristine everytime. But you want to get any oils/metals off first with the TSP because the MA might weld/melt them permanently to the filter if they are present in the 2nd step.

Rinse thoroughly after both steps with a pressure washer (not too close to damage the pleats) or a hose attachment / filter cleaning tool.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.